What Should I Do?

Chapter 12: What Should I Do?

Clary

Sitting in Sarah's room was the same as it had always been.

Purple walls and a neon green bed. I sighed thinking of what I was going to do next.

"Here you go." Sarah said coming in with ice water.

"Thanks." I grabbed the glass and sat down on her comfy bed where she joined me.

I tried not to look at her because if I did she would ask the question I know she was dying to:

Why am I here?

So we sat there in silence. Finally she got up off her bed and stood in front of me.

"Clary, tell me what happened."

"No."

"Why not? I am your best friend! We tell each other everything. Just tell me why you came to my house, out of breath and crying."

"Sarah...I was walking and saw a rabid bunny and took off towards your house...hummm, that's what happened."

"Yeah right and I can fly."

"If you jump off a building its proven that humans can fly for .254 seconds."

"Clary that's beside the point. I want to know why you came here at 12:30 in the morning on a school night...you're lucky my parents are out of town."

"Why are they?"

"My aunt is having a baby tomorrow, and my mom wants to be there-Hey! You're changing the subject!"

"And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that brain of yours." She hit my arm.

"Meanie...Are you going to tell me?"

"I don't know..." We went quiet. "Do you think I can stay here for a while?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Sarah."

"Yeah."

"This would be an awesome time to give me those great hugs you give." She rolled her eyes and embraced me in a tight hug. Tears fell down my face, I willed them not to but they didn't obey. "I s-screwed up, Sarah. H-he going t-to hate m-me, I k-kissed him. H-he t-thinks we're s-still brother a-and sister. Were n-not. I k-k-kissed him, Sarah." I never cried in front of anyone, but I was glad it was Sarah, because she was quiet… just the way I wanted it. "How can I be so stupid! I ruined our relationship, damn it!" I struggled out of her hug. She just stared at me. "I like the silence, but please say something."

"I-I don't know what to tell you, but to go to Josh and tell him how you feel and what's on your mind."

"No, in no way am I going to have a heart to heart chat with him."

"Why, you like him and he likes you, so do something please, before you give me whip lash."

"How do you know he likes me?"

"From where I stand, he always looks at you with desire and love. He treats you better than anyone. While we were dating I would catch him flirting with other girls, but I remember when I was hanging out with you and him, he would ignore every girl around him but you. He's liked you for a long time now."

"Josh is a player and I was an easy catch."

"No, Clary you were the girl Josh wanted."

"What?"

"You remember in the halls you asked who the girl was that Josh was interested in."

"Yeah."

"It was you Clary."