Meeting Georgie

Chapter 19: Georgie

I didn't feel like sleeping, yet I knew if I thought...I would think unwanted thoughts.

The click of a door made me turn my head.

Then a nurse came in, she looked at me and smiled.

"Hi." She said as she walked towards my mom.

"Hello."

"You must be Clary!" She said in a very pep voice.

"Yeah."

"I am Georgie, your mom's late night nurse."

"Hi..."

"I remember the first time I came here in this room, you mom was singing a song. I asked her what she was singing...She told me it was a lullaby that she would sing to you growing up. She sang it over and over. When I had my first child, I sang that same lullaby to him. You have a great mom." She saidas she checked my mom's tubes and things.

"Thanks...even though I know nothing about her. She ran away from my dad and I when I was two."

"She didn't really run away."

"No, she did! I mean, explain what leaving your child and husband is."

"She went away when she found out she was sick. She told me she left you and your dad because she did not want you or him to see her sick. Imagine what it would be like to be in a hospital bed, dying and having your two-year-old asking what was wrong with you. And you were so weak that you could barely talk. She knew it would be hard on you and your dad so she left."

"She could have explained that to my dad and then I could have grown up not thinking she left us, because of..."

"You?"

"Yeah." I said looking at my hands, then back at the nurse.

"She did leave because of you, but it was to protect you. She did not tell your dad because she did want him to drop everything and help her."

"Well when she left he basically lost it...he was okay for a couple years, but then one night I remember him getting drunk and telling me he loves me. I didn't understand what was going on, why he acted like he was saying goodbye...The next day, I found him gone along with all of his belongings. He left in search for her or in search of the cheapest liquor. That I will never know."

"We all do stupid things out of love. Your mom did not intend for that to happen. She intended on you living a happy life, without worrying about her."

"You spoke to her a lot, didn't you?"

"Every night when she was here. Your mom loved talking. Man she could talk up a storm."

"I have only really talked to her once, and she was in a hallucination. She thought I was her dead sister, Sandy."

"Yeah, I would catch her on those nights too." She smiled and then came and sat down next to me. "Clary, she loves you and I know times are hard right now. But just know that they will get better, and I am glad that you came here before she passed away."

"I am too." Then the nurse got up.

"If you ever need anything, My name is Georgie Jewels and if I'm not around, ask the front desk nurse for my number and address. That's for if you ever need me, okay?"

"Okay." I said. She waved goodbye and walked out. I sat there in silence, looking at my mom.

My mom did love me.