Rachel Webster

Chapter 15: Rachel Webster

Chapter 15

I stood in front of her door. My eyes glared at the silver door knob.

I have to go in…I have to see her.

Will she look like the woman in my picture? With brown long hair, dark brown eyes that make you feel connected to her?

I'm afraid.

Then it hit me, I was afraid of seeing her.

But my burning question is why was I afraid?

I mean, she's in the hospital and I haven't seen her in about 14 years. I should be jumping for joy to see her and rushing in.

Yet, my legs feel like jello and my heart was pounding in my chest.

What if she left because of me?

What if she wants nothing to do with me?

Oh, no, Clary you need to suck it up and go in... after all, she is your mother.

Without thinking, I opened the door.

I was met by a dim lit room. It was spacious and definitely smelled like a hospital...

I glanced around and saw...her.

She was asleep, and that made me sigh in relief, but the moment I let out my sigh, she woke up.

We stared at each other for the longest time ever.

I studied her, she had shoulder-length brown hair and yep, her eyes are the same dark brown from the photo.

She was skinny and looked weak, not to mention tired, due to the dark patches under her eyes. It seemed like if I touched her I might bruise her or worse, break a bone. I was at this moment afraid, but not afraid of seeing her, but afraid of her dying.

I tried to keep a straight face, but I was scared…scared of losing her again. So after a minute I couldn't hold back the tears.

"Sandy?" She said in a dry voice. Her brown eyes were looking straight at me.

Wait. What?

She just called me Sandy...why does that name sound familiar?

Sandy...Sandy.

Yes, it was my mom's sister that died when she was 17.

I knew this because among the things she left behind when I was little was a journal from when she was about my age, and when my dad hid everything and I found it. I made it my mission to look and read everything.

Even her journal.

"Sandy?" She repeated again. "Sandy, is that you?...You look a beautiful as ever, I swear you are the prettiest angel alive...So have you come to take me to heaven?"

"What?"

"I've died. I knew it was coming. Now you are here to take me to heaven...Right?"

Okay, she was hallucinating.

Heaven, angels, Sandy?

Breath, she's fine, it's all a joke…

"I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. I can still feel pain though. Will that go away?" She asked.

"You're in pain?" I didn't want her to be in any kind of pain, her saying she was made my face drop.

"Yeah, a lot, but its normal for me...I'm so happy I'm finally dead." I was about to say something else when a nurse came rushing in.