You're Fired

"Hi" Chase said in a sour tone as I entered the diner.

"Good afternoon to you too," I said in a sarcastic voice. I walked to the counter and looked at the kitchen through a little opening behind the counter.

"Is that Bethany or Karena back there?" I asked squinting my eyes.

"It's Karena; you think by now you would know the difference between the two?" I looked at him. He was in a mood, but I decided not to ask.

"No, but where is Tybalt?" Chase frowned.

"He's at the hospital." He said.

"What? Why?"

"It's weird. Some random mugger held him up. And when they got his money, they beat him up. The hospital said that he would make it, though."

"Who will make it?" Bethany asked as she came up behind me.

"It-it's nothing," Chase said quickly before I could answer her. I looked at him weird, why was he not telling Bethany?

"It didn't sound like anything." Bethany said tapping her nails on the counter.

Then Bethany looked at the kitchen.

"Why is Karena cooking?" She asked as she glanced at me. I shook my head.

"I have no idea I just got here." I looked at Chase; he seemed relieved that I didn't tell her. Bethany gave Chase and I a questioning expression.

"Table six orders are up." Karena said. Bethany gave us one last look before she went to go get the food.

I waited a second, until I knew she was busy with her order and helping customers before I asked in a whispered voice, "Why on earth do you not want her to know about Tybalt?"

"See…I am not sure if I should tell you." He said.

"Come on you never lie to people...okay, you do, but ever since you told me you're secret," he looked at me wide-eyed. "You have never lied to me since then. So tell me why I can't tell Bethany about Tybalt." Chase bit the bottom of his lip.

"Okay," he gave in. "See, none of us is supposed to tell you yet, but Bethany and Tybalt have been going out for a while..."

"And why was I not supposed to know this? I care about all of you, I want to know. Plus whatever is going on I'll probably understand."

"That's what I told them that you would understand, but they didn't want you to think that their 'love' would get in the way of their work. So they kept it a secret. And now..."

"Now?" Chase bit his bottom lip harder than last time. I could tell it was hurting him to tell me. But I had to know what was going on.

"Now Bethany is pregnant," He whispered.

I was so shocked, I took a step back as I absorbed this all in. She was pregnant.

"How long has she been pregnant?" I asked.

"For about a month," I was hurt that she didn't tell me.

"We can't tell her that Tybalt is in the hospital."

"And why not, don't you think she needs to know that the father of her unborn child is in the hospital?" I half whispered.

"Bethany told me a week ago when she went to the doctor that this baby is not…strong. And if she gets too stressed and something, she might lose the baby. If we tell her about Tybalt, she's going to get stressed and worried."

"Don't you think Tybalt wants her there?"

"Actually it's his orders that she not be told." I looked around the diner and saw Bethany talking to an old man while pouring him some coffee. I walked over to her.