chapter 10: unpredictable

alexis

Luke and his band, which I learned was called 5 Seconds of Summer, played me a total of six songs: four covers and two originals. They were actually really talented and worked together well, and I think they have some potential, especially considering that the bassist was missing. Not every band could just continue the show while missing a member and a vital instrument.

Luke told me that they were trying to get a gig booked, and they hoped it would help with their popularity. After stalking them on all forms of social media, I learned that they had about ten thousand subscribers on YouTube, which was impressive and by far exceeded my expectations. They honestly might make it big, if they keep at it.

So let go

Till we've lost control

And we'll stumble through it all

Let's do something new and

Unpredictable

Luke sings to me as they finish their last song, an original called "Unpredictable", which is by far my favorite that they played. He grins at me as I stand to give them a standing ovation, and even blushes a little before walking over to me.

"Oh come on, we really aren't very good," he tries to convince me when he reaches me, which doesn't take long due to how long his legs are. I roll my eyes, as his assumption is ridiculous.

"Shut up, you're actually pretty talented." I tell him, and it's clear that he is flattered as his eyes light up when I tell him this.

I guess we all like the occasional put-up.

"Thanks. It really means a lot." He says and really means it.

I am slightly shocked that I am enjoying myself right now. When Gram forced me to come here, I was sure I would sulk in the corner or just plug myself into my phone or something while they practiced. But Luke was easy to all to, and Michael and Ashton are pretty cool too. This is the most fun I've had in a while, and despite the fact that it's just after 10 PM, I find myself thinking that I don't want the night to end.

"Um, I'm pretty sure she was complimenting me, Luke." Mike calls to Luke from the other side of the room, cracking a smile as I laugh and Luke ignores him, keeping his blue eyes on me.

He sits down on the couch and pats the cushion beside him, motioning for me to sit beside him. I plop down as he grabs the bowl of jelly beans and pops a few in his mouth. He offers the bowl to me but I shake my head, so he just holds a few in his hand and occasionally eats one.

"So, Alexis, tell me about yourself." Luke says openly and places the bowl back on the table beside the sofa. I look up at the ceiling, which is painted a pale grey.

Usually when people ask me this question, they really want to know what happened. But Luke doesn't know about what happened or anything, which means his intentions are genuine. I feel the urge to let him get to know me. I could use a friend.

Friends turn their back on you, The devil on my shoulder tells me, reminding me of Calum. I sigh.

Luke seems nice, but so did Calum. And Calum was able to keep up that act for two years before he hurt me. But I like to think that the person I'd gotten to know so well wasn't a lie, and that it was genuinely him. If I judged him solely on what he did to me, I would never be able to get out of bed.

I weigh my options and realize that I have a choice to make.

I could tell this boy about myself, taking a risk. He might break my heart. And I won't even live here for long, only until I get better so it would be a waste of both if our times anyway.