chapter 17: swing set

alexis

"I ate way too much," I announce and crumple up my napkin before throwing it onto my plate.

After the coffees and sandwiches, we also ordered some pastries. I wasn't used to eating so much, I usually only had about one or two meals a day, so I was completely stuffed.

"Same." Luke agreed and patted his stomach, causing a giggle to escape my lips. "Do you wanna get going?" He asks me and I nod.

We'd been at the cafe for over three hours, talking about the randomest things that popped into our minds.

I felt happier than I had in months. It was a warm feeling, one that i wasn't used to.

I slowly stood, stretching a bit before pushing my chair in and grabbing my only half-finished macchiato.

Luke frowned as he saw the cup, still half full, and pointed to his own. He'd gotten a large, and finished an hour ago.

"Well now I feel fat." He groaned and I laughed, poking his stomach with my index finger. Despite his joke, the boy had abs.

"Aw, you poor thing," I taunt as we walk out of the restaurant, and into the warm summer night air. "What time is it?"

Luke pulls out his phone and clicked it to see the time. "10:32." He answers and slides the device back into his pocket. I notice that although that would have been a good opportunity for him to check his texts and stuff, he doesn't, and rather returns his attention back to me.

Despite the semi-late hour, Passion Street was still awake and alive, all of the lights still burning and doors still swinging open and closed with each new customer. I stare at the sights for a moment, taking it all in before when Luke speaks again.

"So do you wanna go back home, or stick around for a bit?" He asks me as we walk past a music store. As my gaze wanders into all of the stores and shops we had yet to see and I cringe at the thought of leaving so soon.

"Can we stay? This place is so cool!" I boarder-line beg and Luke looks at me and smiles.

"I was hoping you'd say that."
...
luke

Alexis's gaze flicks around the at ground, before she finally looks back up to meet my eyes, amusement filling her eyes. "You took me to a park?" She questions, in an attempt to cover up her joy.

"Alex! I am horrified at your lack of imagination! Look around: there is so much to do! We could slide down some slanted slabs of plastic, spin around in that thing I forget the name of, rock back and forth on a fake horse that is far too small for someone our age, swing on some sticks of rubber hanging by chains, or even sit next to a tree!"

She giggles at my perception of the park, and whacks my shoulder because she can't reach my head. "You just ruined my opinion on children's playgrounds. My past-self shuns you."

I widen my eyes in faux offense. "Who said they were only for kids?" I ask and run over to the swings, sitting on the one in the middle and kicking off.

As I sour higher and higher, Alex leans against a pole to watch me, having to crane her neck to view my height. She smiles at me and holds back her laughter.

When I reach the maximum height, I stopped pumping and jump off the swing, landing in a heap on the tanbark. I land the way Calum taught me when we were kids, bending my knees just enough so I don't hurt myself.

"Luke!" I hear Alex screech as I slowly stand up. I throw my hands up to show I'm okay.

"I'm fine! Now you get on and I'll push you." I order her, but she just smiles and shakes her head, focusing her gaze on the trees behind me.