chapter 19: emotionless

HERE IS THE CHAPTER WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS LMFAO

alexis

*3 weeks later

I literally wake up with a smile on my face. Today's the day. Today is Luke's first show. It's all he's been talking about for weeks, with a dreamy look in his eye. His excitement has rubbed off on me, and I had been looking forward to it as well.

With a glance at the clock, I see that it's only 9 am. I haven't woken this early voluntarily in months, and the feeling in my stomach is similar to that of Christmas morning as a child.

Not only is Luke now my best friend, but I actually really like the band, too. Ashton and Michael are really funny and nice, not to mention their musical talents. I feel at home when I'm with them, and that is a feeling that I nearly forgot existed in the first place.

In the past three weeks, Luke and I have hung out almost every day. We've gone back to Passion Street a few times, grabbed coffee nearly every morning, and went to the beach and even a drive-in movie. He was quickly becoming my best friend, and I wasn't doing anything to stop it. It feels like we've known each other our whole lives.

It's now nearing July, and the time has gone by much faster than I'd expected when thinking of the three months I was going to spend here. I was so sure I'd hate this place. And involuntarily being in a place I wasn't happy wasn't going to help me. But Luke helped me, more so than I thought was ever achievable. At first, he provided a simple distraction for what I was feeling inside. But soon enough, our friendship had become much more than that.

Just then, my phone starts blaring, indicating an incoming call. Startled at the sound, I quickly pluck the charger out of my phone and answer it.

"Alex." Luke speaks in a monotone through the device in my hand. I choke back a laugh.

"Lucifer." I deadpan. The serious tone of my voice matches his perfectly.

"Hey!" He whines at my use of his nickname and then laughs.

"So today's the day." I singsong and can picture Luke's smile appearing, alongside his dimples.

"Today's the day." He agrees nervously, causing me to laugh. "So do you wanna hang out? We have to be at sound check at three and then the show starts at seven, so we have all the time before and between then. We could hang at the venue if you want. It's a really cool place and I want to explore it before we go on."

"That sounds good, Luke. I'm so excited for you guys." I tell him, and he inhales nervously.

Since our first trip to Passion Street, I'd been to a few of his band practices. They really were talented, Luke, Michael, and Ash. But I still haven't seen them all together; the bassist always seemed to be missing. I'd been waiting to see them all together for a while, and today that was going to happen.

"Yeah me too. I'm really fucking nervous though. My hands can't stop shaking." He admits and I smile at his honesty.

"You? Dr. Fluke? Nervous? No." I tease, and he chuckles, despite the anxiousness in his voice.

"Yeah. I think I've been waiting for this day my entire life." There is a pause, as both of us take in the contents of the day ahead. "Anyway, I should probably get ready; I just woke up. I'll pick you up in a couple hours?" He asks. I tell him that'll work and we exchange our goodbyes before hanging up.

I literally roll out of bed, forgetting that my nightstand is right next to my bed, and hitting my head on the corner of it. I groan and sit up, rubbing the area before laughing.