chapter 25: day of horrors

alexis

The night that followed this day of horrors was nothing short of traumatizing. Though it was all that I willed for, sleep seemed to be out of the question. My thoughts ran wild as they analyzed the day's events, and this occupied every aspect of my being.

Memories and images of Calum flooded my mind as I silently screamed at them to stop. His smile seemed to be daunting me in my head, and I began wondering if I'd finally lost it.

I crawled into bed and pulled the blankets over my head. Perhaps they could shield me from everything. It was funny almost, how I'd come here seeking an escape from my problems and instead I was quite literally met with the root of them.

I can't get the image of Calum out of my head. He looked so familiar but yet so utterly different; a different person almost. He looked grown, aged. Compared to the last time I'd seen him, he seemed taller. But he'd lost weight, and his skin was no longer sun-kissed. It was pale and gloomy and those tan lines that I'd always tease him about were gone. It seemed he hadn't been outside in months.

And he looked so, so tired. His eyes weren't open all the way, as if even that would take the last of his energy. The circles under his eyes were deep and dark and seemed to age him ten years.

But aside from all of this, I'd recognized the look in his eyes. It was the look that I had seen every time I'd looked in the mirror since he left. He was sad.

And for a moment, only for a small moment, I let myself think that maybe he was just as heartbroken as I was.

sorry this is so short i just edited it and cut out a bunch
thank you so much for reading