Foreword

UPDATE 19th August 2019!!

So I have just learned that someone has stolen this book and put it on Amazon for sale. Apart from legal ramifications about selling fan fiction, they did not ask my permission. The humourous part of myself wonders why I can't get paid for this. Though I doubt this person is going to make any money off of my mediocre work. Regardless, this is not on and I would urge you to visit this page which you can find on Amazon under the same title and by someone named Rebecca and report this person. This must be done on desktop as there does not appear to be a feedback box on mobile. I have reported this person on both Amazon and with Wattpad but until this matter is resolved, it would be great if you guys could help out in any way. I am not the only one affected so resolving this theft would help out many other authors on here. And outside of this little drama, this book is still here and still free for you to read. Thanks, Aaron.

Well here we are again. I am stepping back into the reins, writing once again as the beloved Professor. And I don't know who is more excited, myself or all of you. The response to my foray into the world of writing Layton fan fiction was phenonemal and I never could have imagined it would grow to be so popular. You cried, you laughed, you smiled and all in between. And that's how I knew I was onto something special.

Professor Layton is over. Or rather, Hershel's time is over and we now have Layton's Mystery Journey! and the anime where some very interesting developments have been made regarding Katrielle Layton, Luke and the Professor in the mystery that led him to disappear from the world. Of course, when I wrote this, I had none of this information, so think of this as an alternative timeline, but I will be drawing from the updates to the lore in this and any future stories.

So moving back to the topic of fanfiction, this is where his story shall expand into new and exciting territory. Certainly I wanted to make the best story I could to honour the Professor as I joined Wattpad, but I thought surely my story would pass into obscurity. But it didn't. It soared in popularity and I still look to the numbers and wonder how it was possible. Now I don't have statistics for all fanfiction sites, but to see my Layton stories are among the, if not the most popular on Wattpad, and possibly amongst the top elsewhere... Well, that's extraordinary.

I've had some amazing comments from all of you, some of which have truly touched me. People commenting that I will be an amazing author (a published one of course) and I've even had some rather flattering comments that my Layton stories are the best stories some of you have read. Now I can't claim that my story is really that good, but even if it isn't great to my standards (I am cruel and compare myself to literature giants), at least I've made an impact here, and that's more than enough.

Back when I started my Layton stories (and others on Wattpad), I had a lot of time. Once I finished 'Love In All Adversities', I thought for sure I would have at least two more original Layton adventures. Now it's become clear that this isn't possible. This shall be my last major Layton story, I believe. Perhaps I will try my hand at a short story collection... I still plan to continue my other stories on here, and I encourage you to read those. They, I believe are where my writing ability truly shines.

My writing ability has developed so much since starting out here (I wrote stories before, but with an audience now, I realised I would have to step it up) and I have learned so much. I've always wanted to be a published author and I look to some of my favourite authors and I particularly love the prose of some of them. Patrick Rothfuss, in particular has a prose I want to marry. You have to check out his Kingkiller Chronicles series if you love fantasy. His prose meant I had to push mine to new heights.

Let's finish this foreword with a little talk about this book.

Luke left Layton in 'Lost Future' and I believed this created another tear in Layton which I wanted to explore in my other stories. I had Luke -SPOILER- killed in my story, although it was an illusion. Luke never made an appearance in the book until his letter at the very end. I teased him with Clive's appearance, and it was all adding up to create this side of Layton we've never seen. I knew such a side would not be explored in the games themselves, but I could show a more human and scarred Layton. Of course, I wasn't going to go too far. He still has to be our beloved Professor and not a snappy jerk.

Having dealt with his demons: Claire, Luke, Clive and more, I knew in the next story I could show a Layton stronger than before. So what will truly challenge the Professor after he receives such strength from Claire? Well a threat to Luke of course.

This story takes place two years later for three reasons. Firstly, some time needed to pass before the Professor and Luke can reunite, secondly, something else, big happened in that time, which you shall see in this book, and thirdly, one of my original characters needed to join the fray. Sophia married Martin, another original character, and they had a son. Alexai. Don't worry if you haven't read my previous Layton works. I'll catch you up here. Sofia was a detective who got wound up in the intrigue of this last adventure, and by the end of the story, found her lost love. She won't feature too strongly in this story, but you should know this is an original character for me.

Alexai is only two, but he has quite the budding mind and he will join the group with his parents to aid the Professor in his toughest challenge yet. The villain of this story is truly a terror, though more than just being frightening, he is layered, and by the end you will see a broken man who once saw the light, and may have to see it again if he ever wishes to be loved by his son again.

Be prepared for old faces, new ones and a tale that will be just as intense as my last two. I promise you a story you will never forget.

-WARNING!-

Contains spoilers for pretty much every Professor Layton game, so if you haven't played Azran Legacy and Lost Future/Unwound Future in particular, some points won't hit as hard. If you're concerned about anything, just let me know.

Happy reading!