The Turnabout Demon - Part Six

-Fourteen Months Ago-

"I have a puzzle for you, Luke."

Luke frowned, his lips becoming a thin line.

"This isn't the time for puzzles, Professor."

A smile danced its way onto Hershel's lips and he shook his head in amusement.

"Oh no, this isn't any ordinary puzzle. It requires a good memory, and some very critical thinking, but I have no doubt you will solve it almost immediately."

Crossing his arms, Luke indulged the Professor. His frustration had pulled him down, locking him up as if casting chains about him, and now the Professor was tugging at those chains. Luke could already feel a key being clicked into place. The Professor had only to twist it slightly.

"Do you recall the very first puzzle you had me solve?"

Luke was taken aback. Biting his lip, he thought back to that solemn day, where a new bond was formed, and little did he know at the time, it would be the start of something extraordinary.

"Yes. Of course. The door puzzle."

Closing his eyes, Hershel shook his head, a smile tugging at his lips.

"That is true that the puzzle to get into your room was the first one you set for Emmy and I, though it was in fact the letter that presented itself as the first puzzle. An intriguing one, no less."

Luke dug his fingers into his palms and shook his head.

"But Professor... What does that have to do with anything? How does that cheer me up?"

"It is not the puzzle itself, but what came after." Luke raised an eyebrow, and Hershel elaborated. "I knew that only someone close to Clark would know of our past together. This someone would know, I could never-"

"Never ignore a friend in need..."

Swallowing, Luke felt his face flush red with emotions. You could always trust the Professor to say so much and yet so little. Recalling that sullen time in his life, Luke never pried too deep, though it was all but impossible to ignore such a vital part of their relationship. From the very beginning, Hershel had sought to help Luke, and even though he didn't know Luke at all, he still considered him a friend, and a friend in need.

Finally Luke sighed and allowed a grin to find its way onto his face.

"Cor, Professor. You do know how to make the world softer again."

"I can't quite claim to-"

Clark interjected, smirking at Hershel. "Enough with the modesty; you deserve every compliment you get, Hershel. I should never have doubted you from the beginning. As - as a friend I feel I have failed you in that regard." Hershel raised an eyebrow and looked ready to respond, but Clark continued. "But you never fail me, or my family. You have always been there, and as long as you are my friend, I can never stop being eternally grateful."

The room was cast in a moment of warmth, where fond memories and the press of an immovable bond held an undercurrent, and it ended only because urgency demanded it. Clark was the first to recover.

"Now, we need to find that shirt. It hasn't been washed, so where could it be?"

Brenda's hand shot to her mouth, her eyes exploding in surprise. Everyone looked at her in concern, but she merely shook her head and started to muffle into her hand. It soon became clear that the muffling was actually laughter, high and full of animosity. Removing her hand, the laughter was let free, bouncing off the walls and piercing into the hearts of all those in the room. It was a strike of lightning on ice, sending rippling shatters to astound and delight.