The Turnabout Demon - Part Four

Of course it wasn't. They had a few aces up their sleeves, but more than that, help came from an unexpected source.

"Uh... excuse me," Gumshoe coughed.

Eyes rested on the Detective, who looked very much now like a kid caught cheating.

"What is the matter?" Edgeworth sighed.

"Well it's just... That wasn't the only evidence we have."

And to Phoenix's great surprise, Gumshoe provided him with his glimmer of hope.

*****

--The Previous Day—

Being caught in the act, Gumshoe remained frozen as if in a block of ice. He was staring into the eyes of corruption and deviousness themselves – and we must remember here that Gumshoe had not even seen Costillos yet.

"I had a sneaking suspicion you couldn't be trusted," Brand sneered, a devilish grin wrapped around his face.

"Uh... Chief. It's not what it looks like."

"Oh? What exactly is it then?"

"It's..." Gumshoe gulped and knew this was it for him. He had nothing. His eyes darted about nervously as though the answer might simply fall onto his lap. And indeed it did so, for in one of the monitors, he could see a boy playing with a dog. Just outside the chief's window, Luke was laughing and throwing a stick for Bruno to catch. Straightaway Gumshoe knew that this was the boy providing him with the excuse he needed. Once again, Luke was saving the day with his quick thinking.

He inwardly sighed and closed his eyes. Thanks, pal, he said to himself.

"You look relieved?" Brand snapped, irritated that Gumshoe wasn't squirming as he usually did.

"Relieved, sir? Well sure I am. You see, I've been looking for the boy who has been sneaking in treats for Bruno. I thought the old boy was getting larger than usual."

Elrand Brand raised an arched eyebrow, his back stiffening. The shadow which leapt from him seemed a tad darker than those of the room around him.

"Bruno?" He tested the word as though it were foreign to him. Then it clicked. "My dog? What does my dog have anything to do...?" He trailed off as his eyes found what Gumshoe had spotted. There was a moment of stillness as he swallowed in the sight, and as disturbing to the peace as if a balloon popped in a quiet room, the chief barreled Gumshoe out of the way and moved to the monitor. He took in the sight, apparent steam coming out of his ears now.

Within seconds he was at the door, barely snapping out an order for Gumshoe to remain where he was, and then the Detective was left in peace once more. He let out a deep sigh before remembering that this was his chance. Even so, he couldn't resist letting out a little joke.

"I guess the chief isn't hungry for pretzels anymore."

*****

Gumshoe could have left then – and most definitely he would have with the chief sure to return any minute, but Gumshoe knew there was more he could do. He wasn't simply a fetcher of tapes – he was a detective! He would dig for more clues!

He decided to start in the chief's office, and as he made his way there, feeling more confident than ever, he entered for the first time with no fear. Well, that was a little untrue as even with his free reign, he did have a time limit. He could see the chief outside the window now. He was too distracted trying to shoo off Luke to notice the Detective in his office.

Good. As he moved about the room, looking for clues, he reflected bitterly now that he could have taken the files this way, but then he changed his mind when he realised that it would be harder to explain how he got such information in the first place. Even so, he could find other important clues.