The Turnabout Demon - Part Nine

The judge was waiting for them back in the storeroom. Their biggest concern was lugging the crates past the reporters who were most surely waiting for them by the front entrance this time. So they did the opposite and approached from the rear. There were a few more clever journalists waiting at the back, but they pushed past them, eyes fixed ahead. Phoenix pushed the others through the door, keeping the more eager journalists back with his leg. One reporter donned in yellow approached Phoenix as he stepped into the doorway, but he shooed her away with an impatient bark and she stepped back immediately. He realised he was still carrying some of his attitude from his Costillos impersonation, and he quickly shook it off.

"Wonderful!" the old man cheered, moving over to inspect the wooden boxes. As they were placed down, Phoenix undid the latches, pulling them open to reveal the glossy expensive equipment within. It would have been the greatest shame had this been another red herring, but they had come so far, and they had no doubt these were the crates they were looking for. Even so, Phoenix took a peek in them as they placed them in his boot. His sigh then was long and proud.

"My my," the judge continued, picking up a dusty trowel and examining it carefully. "I think you boys have done it."

"Easy!" Phoenix cried, cheeks flushing. "You're touching evidence there, Your Honour."

The judge cried out in alarm, almost dropping the trowel, and he put it back quickly before he did any more damage.

"I apologise. I was just so overcome with all the effort you have put in. I tell you, Costillos Monriel is guilty!"

Hershel smiled.

"I thought it was the role of the judge to be impartial. At least until the evidence is incontrovertible."

The judge gestured down at the crates that Luke and Alexandros were now heaving into the corner.

"I would say this is doing just that."

"Perhaps, but we still have to get to the heart of this all. We still have a conspiracy to unravel."

"A conspiracy, you say?" The judge tingled with excitement. "I cannot wait to see where this goes. I shall be getting ready. The trial begins in half an hour. You've got some time to discuss stratagems, no doubt."

As the judge sauntered off, practically skipping away, the others all grinned at each other. Alexandros's grin, however, dropped.

"Do you really think this is it?" he frowned.

Phoenix pursed his lips.

"Not quite. But you can't deny we're at a great advantage. Every time we hit a hurdle, we find our way around it and come out soaring. After this, all that's left to do is bring down the man himself."

The thought of Costillos silenced the room. They were all held in silent contemplation. For all their victories, there could be no doubt what lay ahead would challenge them all, in more ways than one. They just had to hope what they had was enough. It had to be.

*****

"The court is now in session for the trial of Costillos Monriel." The judge scanned the room, eyes finding Hershel, Luke and Alexandros, Gumshoe far in the back, the ever smug Edgeworth and confident Phoenix, and then settling on Elrand Brand, looking as small as ever in the witness stand. He knew he was on his last legs, and his fate was now determined by what Phoenix and his team had found.

"To reiterate," the judge coughed. "before court was adjourned, the defence was tasked to find the missing archaeology equipment, seemingly stolen from the Los Angeles Archaeology Centre. Should these items have been found, it will determine both Elrand Brand's, and further, Costillos Monriel's guilt. Now..." He turned now to Phoenix, a thick grey eyebrow raising. "Has this evidence been found, Mr Wright?"