The Bell Tolls

Chief Inspector Grosky walked along the railing that arched up towards the top of Tower Bridge with less than half the finesse of a tightrope walker. But he didn't fall, just put one foot in front of the other and moved faster, sure that keeping his mind utterly focused on the task at hand would keep him standing, let alone free of Imperium corruption.

To ascend Tower Bridge was no simple feat for anyone, but Grosky was nothing if not devoted to the Yard. Some would call him insane, but he had constantly surprised everyone, including himself. Just like with the Eye, the higher he climbed, the harder it was to maintain his balance, and so he had to crouch over, using both hands and feet to ascend the final five metres.

Then the speakers across London flared to life once more, and Costillos' haunting voice uttered its next command.

"I understand that I have some nasty bugs looking to remove my beacons. If you should see any... Please do stop them."

That was it. Grosky glanced around, looking down. Where before the people of London had been frozen on the spot, now they looked about, running to find anyone who was not like them. He ignored them, safe up above and concentrated on the task at hand. That also meant his thoughts didn't drift and the Imperium couldn't take hold.

It was only as he hugged the wall, breathing in relief that he realised his folly. There was a far simpler way to reach the walkway up here – namely climbing the stairs built into the tower itself. He flicked sweat from his pompadour and then sighed. Oh well, he thought dourly. Life is more interesting when presented with a challenge. And who else could say they climbed both the Eye and Tower Bridge in the space of an evening?

Contenting himself with that thought, he climbed ever higher, pretending he didn't feel the hairy legs of the spider, Shiverfang clenched in his hair.

*****

Silence was most fascinated by the man's extraordinary moustache. She decided it was not too dissimilar to a bolt of lightning – it sung on the man's face.

"Why are... you staring?" Don Paolo frowned, stopping to clutch at the balustrade. It was only step one-hundred and two – he'd counted – and yet he wasn't the sprightly man he once was. Above them the Royal Albert Hall stood as a proud display of musical mastery, its glazed-iron roof shining in the dying evening sun. Below, a crowd of at least two dozen sprinting corrupted individuals leaped up the stairs towards them, many more following from the streets further back. "If anyone... should be staring, it is me. I mean, look at you! A snake with a propeller for a tail! Simply marvellous!"

Silence turned her head aside, as if brushing aside his compliment, but secretly she was blushing. Many were frightened – appalled when they saw her fly. They called her a freak of nature. Inside, she knew she was. Yet it was the kindness in Alexandros and Luke that had helped her to see her worth again. Now this ex-Angel, still in his white suit was commenting on her tail as if it was her defining feature, and one to sing to the heavens about, and she felt most pleased with herself.

If only he could see what other talents I possess, she thought sadly. Unlike her propeller-tail, her other abilities were more... harmful. Except... There was one she was proud of. It didn't always work, a fault of the genome the scientist who had experimented on her had commented, but sometimes if she felt in a good mood the talent showed itself.

Concentrating hard, she felt her body tense, and unbeknownst to her, Don Paolo ogled as the diamond patterns across her scales widened and pulsed, until all that was left of her was... nothing. She had simply vanished!

She couldn't feel if her talent worked, but by the gobsmacked look on Don Paolo's face, she knew she was successful this time.

Don Paolo waved his arms about, perhaps wondering if she had disappeared from reality itself, but she released her muscles and by the relief marking the man's eyes, she knew she was visible for all to see. He glanced quickly behind him and saw they still had some time. There really were a lot of stairs.