The Turnabout Demon - Part Ten: Revelations and Farewells

Night had fallen, evening drawing its final breaths. Lights flickered on in the town square of Folsense, casting the streets is warm amber light. A snug silence wrapped itself about the hospital ward, and none broke it until it stretched on past it's due.

"How incredible...." Flora breathed, wanderlust still touching her eyes. "You... You all risked your lives so many times." Suddenly, a frown transformed her face. Rising, she strutted over to Hershel, taking a nearby magazine in hand.

"You...." With each word, Flora hit Hershel on the arm with the rolled magazine, the page numbers setting this more as a thick book than anything else. "risked." Smack! "Your." Smack! "Lives!" She paused, ignoring Hershel's flinches, and she regained her breath. "Luke jumped out of a moving plane!"

Clive coughed.

"Actually, he jumped into a moving plane." Flora snapped her head towards him, eyes showering menace upon him. "From a speeding car," he added, a cheeky grin twitching his lips. Despite the throbbing pain in his arm, Hershel felt that smile as a tremendous victory. It was the first smile that had graced Clive since he had revealed Costillos' vile deeds. It was by no means a final one, but it was the first battle won, and that was a considerable effort.

Flora huffed, spinning around, arms crossed as she marched over to the window, refusing to look at anyone.

Her shoulders slumped, and after a few seconds, she spoke, her voice strangely melancholic.

"It's quite amazing though, all the same. I admit I find myself quite jealous of you." She turned back to glare at Hershel. "Not that I want to be risking my life day in, day out as you do, of course, but...." She once more turned to stare at Folsense's humble night life, at people strolling the town during the hour of twilight. "You got to see Luke again. And shared in another adventure with Phoenix Wright. Though I'm sure you didn't anticipate that."

Hershel chuckled lightly.

"No. I was sure any adventure I embarked upon with Luke would be rife with danger, but I didn't see a court battle proceeding from the fruits of our investigations. Fortunately, we knew of a reputable attorney who proved his merit yet again."

Grosky cleared his throat then, puffing his chest out.

"This is all rather splendid, story wrapped up nicely and what ho, but it's not quite over is it? We were promised the details behind this Auriolus brainwashing conspiracy."

Hershel nodded blankly.

"Yes, of course. We had hints of it, and I did see mentioning of the topic in Costillos' diary, however, the full scope of the project was far graver than even I dared imagine." He regarded them all then, looking about with eyes of the storyteller. First to Sofia and her family, past Clive, Grosky and Flora, and then to the eager officers on their beds. "We had one more visit before I could bid my farewell to the Triton family, and the setting seemed rather appropriate for the nature of our conversation. You see, Costillos was moved to a mental institution, and so Phoenix and I headed there the following day.

"Of course, some celebrations were in order, and they were well deserved after the gruelling week we endured...."

*****

-Fourteen Months Ago-

"It's not often we celebrate the achievements of Hershel Layton," Brenda exclaimed joyfully, the champagne not at all getting to her. Luke coughed and she blushed. "and Luke, of course. But these two have always put themselves before others, and as much as we worry about you, Luke...." Brenda paused, and she felt the colour drain from her face. Then she caught Luke's grin and she shook her head. "You are in the most wonderful of hands, and you have become a better person. And I... Well, I couldn't be more proud."