Uncovering Secrets

-Fourteen Months Earlier-

The two were shoved into Costillos' office, a large and splendorous room, much like such rooms Hershel had found himself in before. With Descole, Bronev, Anton and Dimitri having ornate rooms in much the same fashion. Only Don Paolo lacked the resources or men to claim such a room. Hershel would have thought his familiarity with being in such a situation would help, but in truth, he felt an unpleasant churning in his stomach, and despite standing right next to his young apprentice, felt he was further away from him than ever.

Windows dwarfed Costillos, revealing the sprawling London cityscape, and in the room, as well as the usual items to impress: paintings, model ships and glass sculptures, an ornate table was host to a row of animal guests: a white bat, curiously spotted owl, a poisonous looking spider, and a mesmerising patterned snake, yet all locked in cages, looking quite glum. Luke wondered what would happen if he secretly unlocked the doors and let them go. Then they'd be happy, and could perhaps cause some mischief against their captors on the way out.

Strange items adorned the walls. Ancient devices, and some new ones. All in a wide variety of shapes and colours, and they emitted a shine that made them stand out from the purples and crimsons that formed the office's floors and walls.

"Admiring the décor?" Costillos mused, chin rested in his hands, possessing the same calmness as many villains Layton had faced in the past before. What terrified Layton the most, however, was that so much of Costillos was an unknown. Costillos removed his enemies in all manner of ways; surely he would not hesitate to dispose of Luke and himself as casually as he had done others.

Hershel said nothing, not wishing to indulge the man. Luke, on the other hand...

"Let us go! If you hurt the Professor, everyone will know!"

"Will they now?" mused Costillos, a smirk pressed onto his lips. He waved away some of his white hair, and Hershel could see stress lines across his face. The life of the head of a company could be quite strenuous, and Costillos seemed not to have taken it well. "You underestimate me, boy. I'm not going to pretend to be some evil man, though that may indeed be the truth. I am just a businessman. And a good one at that. Everything I do, I do with a brutal efficiency. Everything must move along at a breakneck pace... Or it will be replaced.

"I can remove you two, and no one would blink an eye my way."

Luke exploded with triumph then.

"That's where you're wrong! The media is out there now, and people everywhere are starting to suspect you! If we went missing, they would instantly tie you to our disappearance!"

Luke gave a satisfied nod as he crossed his arms smugly. Costillos kept a passive face, which then broke into a smile.

"I like your spirit, boy. However ripe with naivety it is dripping with. That mob outside are but flies bouncing off a window. Soon enough they will be gone, once the public realises they are acting on rumours and nothing more."

Hershel cut in, sensing his controlled tone would be a counterpoint to the man seated opposite him.

"Are you certain they are just rumours?" Costillos rounded on him now. "We've gathered quite the pile of evidence against you."

"You call it a pile. How amusing."

Costillos stood up then, and the two guards behind the Professor and Luke stood to attention. Costillos waved their concern away. He moved out from his desk until he stood before Hershel. He walked with a graceful air, of one who is in complete control. A skill, Hershel had no doubt, came from his years as a powerful businessman.