Into a Trap?

"Can't this thing go any faster?" Clive asked impatiently, fear marking his eyes. He was merely echoing what Grosky had grumbled a few minutes before, but now the nerves had really set in. They were too far behind. As the tracker had it, the Angels were almost upon London, and they still had a day's flight at the speed they were going.

Don Paolo bristled and then, quite abruptly, a grin broke out onto his face and he sighed.

"As I told the Chief Inspector, it might drain the fuel to the point where we're stranded, but I can see you're desperate."

Flicking a few switches, he braced as he held a key steady.

"You all might want to hang on."

As the others moved to find seats and handholds, Don Paolo turned the key and then the world seemed to burst into life.

As the Bostonius rocketed forward, Hershel felt his teeth grind harder, his knuckles aching as he held on for dear life, and he wondered why he indulged Don Paolo's insane desire to make the Bostonius faster.

Certainly, Don Paolo had remarked installing jet thrusters was a simple operation, and when the town had bought over the long-discarded thrusters from a fallen plane, it seemed far beyond that. The thrusters were in need of much repair, however, Don Paolo had stated they simply looked worse for wear, but just in fact needed a few easy tweaks. Even though they had access to this speedy method, Don Paolo had remarked on several occasions that it should only be used in an emergency. He had ignored Grosky's, and Inspector Marauder's impatience, but taking one look at Clive's harrowed eyes told him everything he needed.

They soared through the sky like this for quite some time, until a little voice broke out, a child's voice. Sofia knew the source of the voice, and it was like ice shot through her heart. She screamed for Don Paolo to slow down, and as he struggled with the key, the Bostonius dropped its boost and resumed a normal skimming along the clouds.

Jumping from her seat, she raced back out of the control room and listened for the sound of low mumbling. She found the noise was coming from the bathroom, and bursting in, she saw a dazed Alexai half in the toilet seat. She didn't know whether to sigh from the amusing sight, or cry. She chose instead to let her anger speak for her.

"What do you think you're doing here?! You should be with daddy!"

The boy, eyes like swirls, still dazed, frowned and tears threatened his eyes.

"Mummy," he sobbed, and in an instant, her rage subsided and she simply moved to free him from his unpleasant circumstance. As she lifted him into her arms, she rocked him gently, cradling his head in her hands, cooing to him.

"There there, I'm here. I'm not mad."

As the weeping died down, Alexai murmured into his mother's ear.

"You're not?"

She shook her head, keeping up her gentle rhythm.

"I am disappointed – scared even."

Flora and Hershel found them then, and Flora covered her mouth.

Hershel furrowed his brow.

"It is very dangerous," Hershel sighed. Alexai whimpered at the Professor, but then the top-hatted gentleman's lips fell into a smile. "However, we can't very well leave you now. Looks like you're with us for this ride."

As the little boy cheered in delight, Sofia sighed mournfully and shook her head.

"You stay close, alright, sweetie?" she implored. Alexai nodded energetically and she squeezed him tight.