Fear on the Mind

"One thing we ascertained during our research into Imperium" Hershel explained, glancing to the door, thinking of his brainwashed friend only a few rooms away. "was a means of fighting it's effects. After discovering likely spots it would be found – under dense forest areas, for example – we knew that as much as we might try and bury our findings, it was inevitable the mineral would be found again one day. And so we researched countermeasures to dispel its effects."

"And..." Flora breathed, gulping as she too thought now of Don Paolo, and all those other poor, brainwashed souls. "and did you find one?"

Hershel grinned, but it was Martin who answered, the man having been noticeably quiet this entire time. He struck Hershel as a firm, yet gentle figure.

"Well he had to right? Otherwise, how can we get this Don Paolo to fix the ship?"

Hershel nodded.

"Quite right you are. Finding a solution was by no means easy, however, we had some brilliant minds on the case, and it only took a few short strides to reach the ultimate breakthrough.

"You see, on all the volunteers it was tested on, it was clear there was in some small way a level of autonomy that they possessed. You saw it as much with the Angels before. The Imperium cannot force you to do something that would otherwise conflict with your nature, the very essence of who you are."

Grosky frowned.

"So these men, they can permit these evil acts because they are... inherently evil?"

"Evil is perhaps too strong a word. Though I do believe that whoever these Angels are, they have permitted illegal acts in the past. However, as cruel as their acts have been, none are capable of murder."

Flora's eyes lit up and she raised her finger in exclamation.

"And that's why they couldn't shoot us with their guns!"

Hershel grinned, crossing his arms.

"Indeed, though Costillos found access to files on Imperium, it is clear he did not know of this crucial detail, and so it is that we shall find ourselves out of fatal danger in their presence."

Clive snorted.

"That's what you call shooting our airship down!"

Hershel shook his head.

"I examined the ship in detail on our little walk earlier. You see, my plan was still forming, but I had to be sure all the pieces matched up. In this case, a closer inspection of the ship revealed that it was damaged in just a way as to bring the ship down, but not wholly destroy it."

Grosky nodded as he saw the pieces match up.

"Though the ship looks beyond repair, it really should be fixed in a matter of no time. If the vital organs of the thing are in working order, it should be like a simple paint job!"

Hershel grinned and then rested his chin in his hand.

"It is with this knowledge, that the brainwashing can only control so much, that we knew we had to appeal to the person's emotions, their true nature. And so the brainwashing could be overcome in two ways: it could be squandered through making the affected person confront their fear, or if they were confronted with the possibility of harming one they care about. In these instants, the effects of the Imperium wears off immediately, and control is restored."

Grosky stroked his moustache, while Flora and Clive wondered exactly what Don Paolo was afraid of.

Hershel pursed his lips.