Stumbling

-Fourteen Months Earlier-  

At the local police station, Hershel found himself in a separate room from Luke. He demanded that Luke be with him, but the police officers met him with cold stares. He finally relented and sat down patiently, sure that ensuring the peace would resolve things quicker.

Finally, the door to the interrogation room opened, and a rather tall officer entered. He had jet black hair which waved over to the left, ending in spikes. He wore a long swamp green overcoat and sported a red tie. On his right cheek was a bandage, and he had a friendly look about him, as though he could be an uncle, or a father.

"I'm Detective Dick Gumshoe."

"Hershel Layton."

"Right, well it looks pretty simple here," Detective Gumshoe rifled through a folder and glossed over the details. "Seems you and your young accomplice broke into a private site."

"I understand our actions were illegal, Detective, however-"

"Save it, pal. I'm not holding you two. I know what's really going on here."

Hershel raised an eyebrow at that. To his confusion, Gumshoe responded with a sly grin.

"I know exactly who you are. You were going to uncover some evil plot, isn't that right, Professor Layton?"

Hershel felt his insides turn a little. Detective Gumshoe laughed at his reaction.

"You don't know me, but you do know my good pal, Wright. Phoenix Wright."

Hershel felt old memories flooding in, and he smiled for the first time since Luke had solved the puzzle that morning.

"How is Mr. Wright, Detective?" Hershel inquired.

"Oh fine. He's a hotshot attorney, and you're a world-class adventurer. After Phoenix told me about what you and him went through, I got inspired and read up on you. Amazing stuff, I've got to say, pal."

"Thank you, Detective. Do you really mean to release me so easily?"

"Of course!" He leant in then, speaking the next part softly. "Just between us right? I mean, you've saved so many lives, the world even! It don't feel right to keep you locked up. So I'm letting you go. And your son too."

"I humbly thank you, Detective. Though I must correct you: Luke is my apprentice, my friend, not my son."

"Ah, right. Well, I'm letting you go. I'll say it was a misunderstanding and I'll deal with the paperwork."

He stood up, gesturing for Hershel to do the same. Before Hershel could leave, however, he held up his hand.

"Just don't go getting caught again, right pal?"

"I shall endeavour not to, Detective. And once again, I thank you for your kindness."

Hershel met Luke by the entrance, and they waved at the Detective, thanking him. Out of the station filled with strange mascots, they hopped onto the nearest bus and made for home. Luke voiced his distaste.

"Oh, Professor. We can't just give up now! We've got nothing to show!"

"Luke," Hershel stated seriously, lowering his voice to keep unwanted ears out of their conversation. "I understand your frustration, however, sometimes there are signs when you should stay out of trouble for a little while. There's no sense returning to the site now – there will be too many workers, and they'll be on the lookout for intruders now. Best to return another day."

"But Professor, that's our only lead! And you'll be gone in a week! We've got to go back!"

Hershel placed his hand on Luke's shoulder.