The Wright Call

The silence was grating, as usual. With their headstart – which now turned out not to be a headstart – the journey to Folsense was going to take a little while longer than any of them would have liked. After another two minutes of stiff silence, Grosky puffed out his chest and coughed indignantly.

"I for one, would like to know what happened next in the story."

The other members of the Bostonius looked to each other and then outbursts of agreement found their way to the lips of all the agents. Despite how grim they felt, Flora and Clive both nodded. As painful as the story had been, they needed to know what happened next. They were only just getting to the exciting bit, after all.

Hershel sighed and crossed his arms.

"Very well. I shall regale you the order of events that proceeded our incursion to the Auriolus HQ."

Another sigh, and then Hershel found himself smiling.

"It was a trial involving the esteemed Phoenix Wright; that guarantees a high level of stress, anticipation, and stunning comebacks. All in all, it makes for quite a story."

*****

-Fourteen Months Ago-

-Note: For those who have not played Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, or are not familiar with the Ace Attorney series, there shall be many references in the following chapters that may confuse you. If you wish, you may skip ahead to the modern story (when it is posted), but should you still wish to read on and do not wish to be left in the dark, I shall provide a brief summary of characters here:

Phoenix Wright: A renowned defence attorney famous for turning hopeless cases around and getting his defendant found innocent, as well as finding the real killer. He has handled many cases in his career, losing only once to date. He founded the Wright Anything Agency, which comprised of several lawyers, and his old partner, Maya Fey, as seen in Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Wright seems not to have a very close relationship with technology. He claims to be no good at math, and when he encounters any form of advanced technology, he can only really regurgitate the information fed to him by others. Phoenix Wright is generally quite easy-going in his outlook. His relaxed attitude usually leads to his hyperactive friends leading him around or taking advantage of his good nature. Wright also has somewhat of a sarcastic side that he usually keeps to himself. This tends to manifest itself when dealing with the eccentric characters he comes across, including his friends. As a lawyer, Wright is dedicated to defending and believing in his innocent clients. This loyalty is so great that he often ends up risking his career and even his life for them on several occasions.

Miles Edgeworth: Chief Prosecutor of the prosecutor's office in Los Angeles. During his first four years as a prosecutor, he had a perfect win record in trials owing to his willingness to do just about anything to get a guilty verdict for the defendant. His defeat in court at the hand of his childhood friend Phoenix Wright was the beginning of a series of seismic shifts in his attitude concerning his profession. He even quit twice, only to return each time with a fresh outlook on how he conducted his life. By the time of the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (the third Ace Attorney game), he had become an international prosecutor who had prosecuted in five other countries, as well as being known as the top prosecutor in his homeland. His goal as a prosecutor is to seek the truth above all else, and to use the power of the law to save people. Edgeworth is usually calm and level-headed, but is typically seen as a snob due to his cold, ruthless, and generally aloof nature. He has a certain lack of social skills and tact, making him very insecure and awkward around others. In fact, he was taught as a child to glare at people who looked at him, unwittingly intimidating them. He also has difficulties with some names. Although generally loath to admit it, he cares deeply for his friends, going to great lengths to assist them.