12: Hunters of Artemis (part one)

~(Y/n)'s POV~

You were walking back to your cabin after the campfire to go to bed. Today was a full day of events, the most interesting part being Hunters beating the campers once again at Capture the Flag.

Yup, the famous Hunters of Artemis were visiting for a couple weeks, and while everyone pretty much hated them, you thought they were awesome.

As you were getting closer to your cabin, a sudden, bright flash of white light appeared in front of you. Seconds later, a young girl about 12 years old was standing in front of you. The girl had a bow and arrow and auburn hair. She gave off the aura of a powerful goddess. You recognized her from earlier today.

"L-Lady Artemis?" You awed, bowing slightly.

"Hello, (Y/n). You did quite well at Capture the Flag today. You made an interesting opponent for my Hunters," she acknowledged, "It would be a pleasure having you as a Huntress."

Your eyes widened. Lady Artemis wants me to be a Huntress? Sweet! You thought.

But then you hesitated. What about all my friends at Camp Half Blood? What about all of my guy friends especially? What about Nico? Sure, we aren't together or anything, but he's still my best friend. Does this mean I would have to say goodbye to him if I say yes?

The thoughts flew around in your head. You took a deep breath.

"Thank you, but with all due respect, your godliness, I'm not sure if I'm ready to say goodbye to Camp Half-Blood and, well, the aging process," you said.

I mean, it's not like you were looking forward to growing decrepit, but immortality seems kind of overwhelming.

She nodded."I understand. Immortality is a lot to take in. Many girls in the past have been indescisive as well."

She handed you a brochure.

"But please, keep my offer in mind."

You nodded quickly, shoving the brochure in your back pocket. "Thank you, Lady Artemis."

And with that, she was gone.

~~~~~

You woke up, feeling sick. The thought of the night before made you queasy. Do I tell Nico?

Climbing out of your bed, you got dressed, brushed your teeth, fixed your hair and all that jazz. The horn sounded, signaling breakfast. You and your sibling(s) trudged to the dining pavillion.

On the way there, your best friend, Nico spotted you and called your name. "(Y/n)!" He jogged up to you.

Just looking at him made the brochure in your back pocket feel like a metric ton weighing you down.

You put on a fake smile. "Hey."

His smile faltered. "What, no secret handshake?"

"Oh, r-right." You both went and did your super duper secret handshake. A mix of hand-slapping, pinkie grabs, and fist bumps.

He noticed that you were being totally distant the entire time he'd be talking to you that morning.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, trying to get you to look in his eyes, which were full of concern.

You shook your head, "Nothing, just...bad dreams, you know?" You lied.

He hesitantly nodded. "Yeah, okay." He said, not wanting to push you any further.

"Race you to the Mess Hall!" You exclaimed, running off.

I can't let him think that anything is wrong, you thought.

You beat Nico to the Mess Hall and laughed in his face.

"Anyway, see you after breakfast, Nico," you said, parting ways with him to go eat with your half-sibling(s).

As you started to walk away, you heard Nico say, "Hey, what's this?" He then snatched something sticking out of your pocket.

You gasped. The brochure.

"Wha-Hey! Give it back!" You said, trying to grab the brochure from him. You both started to frantically slap at eachother in order to make the other go away.

He ran, and you chased him out of the Mess Hall.

"Never! What is it?" He said, trying to read what the glossy, rectangular piece of paper said. (Which was difficult, because you were constantly hitting him in attempt to get it back, and he was trying to block you.)

"My underwear," you grunted, clawing at the hand holding the brochure. "Give me back my underwear!"

"It's not your underwear! What are you hiding from me?" Nico asked.

You latched onto him like one of those stuffed monkeys you get at the fair. He grunted and started tickling you.

"Wait-ahh!" You gasped. You were extremely ticklish. "H-hey! That's not f-fair," you wheezed.

Eventually, you had to back off.

He grinned and laughed at you. He started to read the paper. "Nico, before you say anything-"

His grin faded away as he stared at the brochure. He looked back and forth from you to the brochure. "You...you're thinking of joining the Hunters of Artemis?" He choked.

"Nico-" you started. He shook his head and walked away, leaving you there.

~~~~~

"And then he walked away," you finished.

Hazel, Piper, Annabeth, Percy, and Frank were listening to you talk about what happened earlier that day. Leo and Jason couldn't make it since Jason was at Camp Jupiter at the moment, and Leo was at Bunker Nine. And the reason Hazel and Frank were there was because they were visiting.

Percy spoke up. "Well, (Y/n), he had a good reason to be upset. I was freaking out when I found out Annabeth was thinking about joining the Hunters. And also, his sister, Bianca, kind of died as a Huntress."

"I know that. But that's the thing, I wasn't even thinking about actually joining," you paused,"Okay actually that's a lie. But Artemis just gave me the brochure because she honestly thought I would be an awesome Huntress. Which, of course, I don't blame her," you flipped your hair dramatically.

"But Nico didn't even let me explain that I said no because of him and you guys," You continued.

Hazel frowned. "I can talk to him for you if you want," she suggested.

You shrugged, "I don't know. And I don't really know why he got so upset at me in the first place."

Piper raised an eyebrow at you. "Um, hello? You know he has a crush on you, right?"

"Wait, what? I thought he didn't like me back. . ." you trailed off, realizing you just confessed your crush to five people at once.

"You have a crush on Neeks? Aww that's cute," Frank chuckled.

You pouted, "Stop." Frank was pretty much the closest person to you besides Nico. That's one of the reasons you didn't pound his face in when he said your crush on him was 'cute.'

"(Y/n), honestly, all you need to do is explain to Nico that you said no to joining the Hunters in the first place. And if that doesn't work, you're gonna have to tell him that you have a crush on him to make him believe you," Annabeth said.

They all nodded in agreement.

"Are you guys serious right now? He's the one who wouldn't listen," You asked.

They stayed silent, staring at you. Okay, I guess that means yes, you thought.

You groaned. "Wait, but he's been ignoring me all day. He even ignored me at target practice when the arrow I shot almost hit his shoulder. Who ignores that!?"

Annabeth gave you a look. "Just try."

You glanced around the room at the five demigods watching you.

"Fine."
___________________________________________________

Stay tuned for part two. -latersatyr