28: Airplanes

Sup. Latersatyr here. This oneshot was requested by my awesome friend sporkfullofsugar and he's amazing at poetry and even has his own book of poetry called Scintilla. (Hehe, you got the promo you wanted)

This is actually an older you and Nico, hope that's cool.

______________________

Nico watched as the U-Haul moving truck zoomed away, leaving him on his own for the rest of his unpacking.

He brought the last box into his new apartment.

The apartment building was a lot less nicer than his old one, which had a view overlooking New York and the Empire State Building, until it burned down.

Nico had moved out of Camp Half Blood two years ago, when he turned 20.

Walking into his bedroom, he scanned the inside. It was a relatively small room, consisting of one window, a bed frame, and a few of his moving boxes.

He approached the window and opened up the blinds, hoping for a decent view.

The window revealed the wall of another apartment building.

Chipped paint and plaster surrounded the rectangular window directly across from his.

He turned around in disappointment.

As Nico unpacked slowly, he glanced up through the window again, but this time, movement in the other apartment caught his eye.

He caught a glimpse of a person, around his age.

They were standing in front of an easel, with a paint pallet consisting of various colors.

The person had their back towards him, blocking his view of the canvas that they were currently stroking with a paintbrush.

Nico continued watching in awe, examining the person's physique. After a few moments the person walked to another part of the room, out of his field vision, but also revealing the painting they had been working on.

"Woah..." He gasped in shock at the beauty of the painting.

It was a breathtaking landscape of mountains. Evergreen trees dotted the valleys at the foot of each mountain. Fluffy clouds were shown above the horizon.

It was as if the artist dreamed of a place completely different than New York.

The artist came back into view. They glanced out the window, doing a double take, spotting Nico. They made a split second of eye contact.

Nico panicked and immediately ducked out of their view.

Man, that was close, he thought.

~~~~~

A few days passed, and Nico couldn't get the mysterious artist out of his head.

He had moved in completely now, and everything was in order. Everything except for his thoughts, that is.

They seemed so graceful, like an immortal in disguise in the most human way possible.

He just had to get to know you.

One day, he noticed your window was wide open. No one was in the room.

He took out a piece of card stock paper and immediately put his scrambled thoughts into words.

He folded the paper into a paper airplane.

Nico slid his window open and took a deep breath. Before he could chicken out and change his mind, he flicked his wrist and sent the paper airplane into your room.

It landed on a table that held your paints and paintbrushes.

Now, all he could do was wait.

~~~~~

You yawned and trudged into your art room. You had left the window open for a few hours, letting the paint dry on your canvas.

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a piece of paper on your supply table.

You furrowed your eyebrows as you saw it was folded into a paper airplane. On the top wing, a little arrow pointed to one of the folds and said "open here."

You unfolded it, revealing words across the creased page.

I grew myself the prettiest flower.
The flower bloomed more beautiful Every hour
Poems are hard.
I'm in love with you, my flower.
~Nico di Angelo.

You blinked.

You looked out the window, seeing the boy next door smiling.

You waved awkwardly.

Looking back at the poem, you were confused.

The guy next door has a crush on me?

Cool.

You grabbed a blank piece of paper and scribbled something down. You folded it into a paper airplane, as well.

You flew it into his apartment, and he scrambled to catch it.

He read it and grinned. Nico looked back up at you and nodded.

You smiled and headed downstairs, where you told him you would meet him.

By the time you got downstairs, the boy was already waiting for you.

You smiled, "Hey."

"Hey," he said breathlessly.

"Wanna go get some pizza?" You outwardly said.

"...Pizza?"

"Yeah, pizza. What, have you never heard of it?" You asked.

"No, um I have but..." He trailed off, flustered.

"But what?"

"Nothing, it's just that I told you that I was in love with you... I kinda thought you would react with something else than, 'Let's get pizza,'" he chuckled.

You thought for a moment.

"My love is pizza-shaped. Won't you have a slice? It's circular, so there's enough to go around."

He laughed so hard his face turned red.

Once he calmed down, he smiled at you. "You know, you're nothing I expected you to be."

"Is that a good thing?"

He smiled.

"It's perfect."

_________________________

Let's see how many of you can guess my real name. 3-2-1 go.

-latersatyr