42: Sunset Escapades

I shifted underneath my covers, staring at the bunk above mine.

A tap on the window next to me made me slowly start to grin.

I knew automatically who it was.

I hopped up, making sure not to wake anyone in my cabin.

Nico squished his face up to the window, searching for me. He smiled when he met my eyes.

I pulled on my sneakers and opened the window. Nico offered his hand and I took it.

I clumsily stepped out the window. He chuckled softly at me and let go of my hand.

I frowned playfully. "Don't laugh," I whispered.

"Too late," he whispered back, smirking.

I pulled down the window, leaving a small crack open.

He took a hold of my hand once again. "Ready?"

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," Nico replied, fading into the shadows, taking me with him.

I closed my eyes, listening to the spirits' whispers surrounding Nico and I in the shadows.

Once the whispers stopped, I opened my eyes and looked around.

A smile creeped onto my face as I took in my surroundings.

We were standing on the cluttered rooftop of a small and probably abandoned building in what looked like California.

The sun was close to setting here in the West Coast.

I could tell why Nico brought me here, too. The skyline was beautiful. The slight silhouettes formed by the buildings created a beautiful view of the slowly-changing sky.

Nico took my hand and guided me to sit down at the edge of the roof. Our feet hung over the side, making me free to swing my legs back and forth.

I leaned my head on my best friend's shoulder, as he smiled down at me.

"Beautiful, right?" He asked, putting a hand over mine. "Look," he pointed out into the distance.

The sky had changed color once again, this time emitting beautiful pastel shades of pink and purple. The clouds created a cotton candy effect.

The city lights began to turn on, reminding me of my hometown, New York.

I didn't know how long we stayed there, but it must've been a while. We sat in comfortable silence as we watched the sun disappear into the horizon. The moon shone bright tonight, as did the stars hanging overhead.

"Isn't the moon beautiful tonight?" He asked, staring above us.

"Yeah, it's even shaped like a toenail. Very breathtaking." I said.

He laughed, "It sure is."

"You can't get a better view of California than this," he added.

I nodded in agreement. "No place in the world could possibly have a better view than this."

He shook his head, "Nope, you're wrong about that."

I frowned, tilting my head to the side. "Where?"

He smiled, looked me in the eyes, and laced his fingers with mine. "Right there."