Quadruple Date

• Dedicated to Julia Little J Cline

Chapter 25: Quadruple Date

Kim’s P.O.V

Lena and I had shooed Will out of his own room so that we could get dressed, and so that I could get to know Lena better. She seemed fun to be around with at first glance, but first impressions weren’t always correct.

I could have scanned her emotions and her personality, but I always tried to use the least of my ‘gifts’ as Will liked to call them. Don’t get me wrong. I love to make who are perfect for each other get together, but sometimes I would like to be the one to experience love. That’s why I kind of resented Lena for not taking advantage of what she had. I had tried to get out of this cupid business multiple times. I had talked to the elders and actually begged them to make me human, but they just smiled at my request as if it was a joke. After that I tried less unorthodox methods but after my encounter with a heartbreaker that almost killed me, I gave up trying to get away from my ‘duties’. Will knew I disliked what had been made of us, but he didn’t know to what extent. If he would know what I did he would go ballistics. That’s why I kept him out of it.

Lena was getting ready for the quadruple date in the corner of Will’s room. She didn’t seem to put to much effort in it, which I liked about her, because it meant she wasn’t one of those beach blonde barbies that had to coordinate their nail varnish to the color of their clothes. I looked down at what I was wearing. I had black trousers on that reached just below my knee, and my white t-shirt had in big silver letters the words “Try me.” It wasn’t the classiest clothes I had with me, but it’s not like I was trying to impress any body. Lena was wearing a dark blue tank top with pearls in the corners, with long white skinny jeans, and silver sandals. I liked her style.

“I like your top.” Lena complimented me with a smile.

“Thanks, I like yours to.” I answered as I sat down on Will’s bed.

We looked at each other awkwardly at a loss to what to say. “You and Will are pretty close, right?” Lena asked out of the blue.

“I guess. We met a few years back, and we just clicked. I guess you can call it a connection.” I explained with a shrug. Lena nodded slowly her dark blue yes thoughtful. It’s weird, because I could have sworn they were green earlier.

“You kind of see each other like brother and sister don’t you?” Lena asked. The question was quite strange in my opinion, but when I looked at Lena’s face I realized what was going on. She liked him, and she wanted to know if Will and I had something!

“You like Will!” I blurted out, still under shock at what I just found out.

“No.. No I don’t!” Lena denied hurriedly. Her face turning tomato red. She let her long blond hair fall over her cheeks trying to hide her blush.

“Yes you do! Don’t deny it…” I repeated stubbornly. “Wow… this is a first.” I mumbled softly more to myself then to Lena.

“We should go.” Lena suggested quickly as she got up from the bed.

“Oh no you don’t.” I said as I pulled her back onto the bed.

She turned to face me in resignation. “Please don’t tell him.” She begged. “It’s just some kind of infatuation anyways. It will blow away soon enough.” It looked like she was trying to convince herself more then me.

“Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me.” I reassured her. “I’m just so surprised.” I admitted.

Lena looked at me in confusion and cocked her head to the side inquisitively. I was in a really tight stop right now. I couldn’t tell Lena that Will and I were cupids and that falling in love would have horrible consequences for us. I always thought that the elders lied to us when they told us we would die, but I have no doubt that they would have a horrible punishment in store for us. I glanced at Lena, and I could see her eyes filled with fear, embarrassment, curiosity, but also hope. I had to dissuade Lena from falling head over heels for Will. She would only end up hurt. Something that surprised me though was that Lena actually had feelings for him.