Back Again

Chapter 38: Back Again

“Calvin is still in the hospital last time I checked.”

--

Will’s P.O.V

Even though I was in a hospital filled with people who were sick and dying I couldn’t help like feeling as if I were on a cloud, and that life was perfect. Well almost perfect. All that I needed now for an absolutely flawless day was for Calvin to get better.

Lena and I had talked all the way as we came to the Hospital, but now that we were in the hallway walking up to Calvin’s room, a sense of dread had taken over. Everything had worked out so well till now it seemed surreal, almost as if we were expecting a next disaster to happen.

Lena and I arrived at Calvin’s room. I hesitated in front of it, scared to go in, but then Lena took my hand in hers and smiled at me encouragingly, and that was all I needed to give me courage.

I pushed down the handle and opened the door. Calvin was sleeping in his bed, and Mia was sitting on a chair next to him. She looked up at us with a surprised face when she saw us.

“Hey.” Lena and I both said quietly, so that we wouldn’t wake Calvin up.

“Hi.” She answered simply. Mia never had been a talker I noticed, and that’s why Calvin and her went so well together. He could basically talk about anything, no matter what the subject.

“How is he doing?” I asked her as I approached Calvin’s bed.

“Better then expected apparently. The doctors are saying it’s a miracle he didn’t have any head trauma.” She hesitated before continuing. “The doctors said that a guy names Will found him.”

“Yeah, that was me. I was per chance taking a walk on the beach with a friend when I saw him drowning.”

Mia’s eyebrows knitted together. “The first thing Calvin said when he woke up was that somebody tried to drown him. He was terrified at first when he saw me as if he thought I drowned him, but I was able to convince him that he probably hallucinated, and that someone else did it. Are you sure you didn’t see anyone suspicious at the beach?”

“I was so focused on saving Calvin that I didn’t check if anyone else was there. There was a party going on right next to the spot where I found him though.” I lied. I hated lying, but I knew I couldn’t tell Mia the truth.

Mia stared me down for a moment, but then her expression relaxed, and she looked back at Calvin. “I’m just happy he’s alright.” She admitted.

At that moment Lena said, “Mia you look like you could use something to eat or drink. How long have you been here?”

“Since this morning. It’s not that bad. I’ve talked to Calvin’s parents and his sister, and he woke up once as well, but I am kind of hungry.” She admitted ruefully.

“I’ll go get you some chocolate. That always helps me.” Lena said with a smile. “Will?”

“I’m good, thanks.” I said as I smiled at her.

I watched Lena leave the room, and I felt the urge to go after her, because I hadn’t let her out of my sight since I heard that Dixon almost killed her, but I knew that U was irrational, and that I couldn’t keep her in my eye sight 24/7.

I sat down on the chair that was free on the other side of Calvin’s bed. Mia and I stayed silent for a while.

“So how long will it be before he can get out of here?” I asked.