Part 12

Five minutes before the lesson finished, Harry told everyone to put their pens down, and pass in their test.

      I’ve done terrible... Ellie thought to herself.

     I’ve done great, Will thought to himself.

     Both two completely different thoughts, but they could never be more alike.

     “Well I just failed that,” Chloe sighed placing her blue pen on the table,

     “I think I’ve done pretty well,” Jasmine smiled, “How about you Ellie?”

     “Yeah,” Ellie said bluntly, “Good,”

     “Will?” Jasmine cocked an eyebrow,

     “Uh, yeah” Will said, “I think I’ve done well.”

      “I wish I had revised,” Chloe shook her head in despair,

      Will patted her on the back, “I’m sure you’ve done fine,”

     The bell finally rang after a couple minutes of silence as Mr. Smith collected in all of the final assessments.

     Second, third and fourth period passed unbelievably quickly; and once again Will and Chloe were sat on the popular table, while Ellie, Jasmine, Jake, Max and Tom were sat on a table across the canteen from them. Jake placed his arm around Jasmine’s shoulder.

     Ellie sipped her water, “I hate love.” She moaned,

     “Why? It’s beautiful,” Jasmine replied.

     “It’s tiring,” Ellie sighed, “What’s the point in all the pain?”

     “You’re not even in love with anyone,” Tom raised his eyebrow, “How are you tired?”

     “Have you never been in love with someone who doesn’t love you back?” Ellie asked,

     “I have actually,” Tom answered firmly.

     “Who do you love then, Miss I hate love?” Max asked, hoping it was him.

     Ellie raised a finger, pointing over to where the popular crowd were seated. “That jerk there,”

     “Joel?” Jasmine asked, “Yuck,”

     “No, not Joel; the idiot sat on his left.” Ellie rolled her eyes,

      Max sighed, and patted her on the back. “Want me to go talk to Will?”

     “No, no, no. Not in front of them, Becky will murder me.” Ellie shook her head,

     “Obviously not in front of them silly, that would be embarrassing.” Max laughed.

     “Whatever,” Ellie laughed back, “You can do whatever you want, and I do not care.”

     Max looked over to Jake, and then to Tom. They both nodded, motioning him to go speak to Will. He tried to act cool, which made him look even more like an idiot.

     “Hey, Will. I need to speak to you,” Max said in a deep voice,

     “Man, are you gay or something?” Will laughed.

     “No,” Max replied in a high pitched tone, he tried again with a deeper one, “I mean, no.”

     “Okay, you can speak to me.” Will stood up from the red plastic chair and they left the canteen. “What is it?”

     As they were stood in a quiet corridor, Max coughed a little and started his sentence enthusiastically. “Ellie wanted me to speak to you,”

     “Why couldn’t she come herself?” Will asked,

     “Well, she didn’t actually want me to, but she said it was okay if I did.” Max explained.

     “Oh, okay. What is it?” Will crossed his arms, and his muscles were tensed beautifully.

     “She’s in love with you, man. And it’s killing her,” Max finally let out.

     Will’s eyes widened, “Really?” He asked.

     “Yeah, but now you’re popular and everything...”

     Will cut him off, “I don’t want to be popular, I hate it.”

     “Hates a strong word,” Max replied, “And what idiot hates being popular?”

     “This idiot, I hate being popular, I hate my Dad, I hate not being with Ellie,” A tear formed in Will’s left eye as he spoke.

     “Speak to her then,” Max shrugged his shoulders,

     “I can’t,” Will frowned.

     “Well at least now you know she feels the same way that you feel about her, you have a little more confidence with confronting her,” Max said confidently,

     “How do you know I feel the same way about her?” Will questioned.

     “I just know,” Max half smiled, before heading back to the canteen. “Good luck.”

     Will stared down at the floor, thinking hard about what Max had just told him. Maybe it was time to tell Ellie he felt the same way about her, but will he be able to find the courage...