Chapter 6

I hand over the books I had finished to my father.

I pout my lip and trudge upstairs to my room. Since I have photographic memory-at least thats what it sounds like according to the books I've read-I can remember anything and never forget.

That could be a blessing or a curse. For me, it was both. I would never forget the abuse this family had given me but it was a blessing for remembering the good things.

And so now I knew self defense, more dinner meals, how to play four instruments, and nine languages. I'll most likely get an A in Dr. Green's Japanese class.

Since my family has already seen me, I could probably go out and visit the construction site.

I slip on my hand-me-down tennis shoes from Marie and slip out the back door.

I use one of the paths in the woods. I closed my eyes. I knew the forest too well that I wouldn't need open my eyes.

I arrive and open my eyes. There wasn't a construction site.

Instead, there stood a diner. I squint at the sign and it said 'Bob's Diner'. The playground that was next to the constuction site was gone also.

I felt a pang of sadness. It reminded me of all the Foster families I had gone to. Just like that playground, I had seen them a few times and then I was gone and back at Foster Care headquarters once again.

I look down at my clothes. I was wearing a tanktop with jean shorts. It was casual, but I didn't know if the diner was casual or formal?

I shrugged, it's not like I'm here to socialize right?

I walk through the diner's doors and feel cool air greet me along with cheerful voices chit chatting.

I felt another pang of sadness. Would I ever be able to do that?

"Why hello little bird!" I was startled by the voice beside me. I turn towards it and a man was standing there. He had gray hair and a bread along with a mustache but also had kind dark brown eyes.

I felt safe with him.

"Hello." I smile at him.

"I'm Uncle." He holds out a hand for me to shake. I grin and shake it.

"I'm Sang." I answer him.

"So little bird, what are you doing here?" Uncle askes me.

I thought for a moment and decided to tell the truth.

"There was construction in this place before and now there's this diner. I decided to check it out." I shrug.

"Well little birdie, you're in for a treat." Uncle smiles softley. "Since your so pretty I'll offer you a job. Another reason is because I'm looking for employes. So what do you say? Will you work for me?"

I lift my finger to my bottom lip. "Imight not be able to do my shifts at certain times for family reasons." My face fell as I said this.

Uncle nods in understanding. "You don't want your parents to know..." He murmurs to himself. His face lights up suddednly. "Why don't you check in when you can? I'll pay you in cash."

My face lights up also. My first job! I nod enthusiastically. "That'd be perfect!" I say bouncing on my toes.

Uncle smiles knowingly. "When do you want to start?"

I thought for a second. "I'll probably be able to come tomorrow, if not then the day after tomorrow. When school starts, I'll most likely be working on weekends only. I might pop up on a weekday though so don't be so suprised if I do."

He nodded and leads me towards his office. "You'll want to work the register. I'll teach you how to do that." He pauses. "You can cook right? If so, I need to cook me something of my choice and then I give you a taste test. How does that sound?"

I grin. "Perfect."