Chapter 25

The bus stops and lets Marie and I off.

The competition in music club was a tie between Jade's and my team. Jade kept glaring at me, I think she was unhappy because she didn't win but had a tie.

That's fine, I'm used to people channeling their anger at me for no reason. It's been happening for three years.

I slipped in by the back door as Marie took the front. I felt a shiver of excitment pass down my spine.

I was going to the mall!

I could remember the last time I had gone to the mall. I was eleven and still a foster kid.

"Mom, check this out." I show her the necklace that had caught my attention. It had hearts all over it. They were well hidden but I could see them clearly.

"What?" She snapped, she must be in a bad mood. I point to the hearts in the necklace.

"There are hearts in the necklace." I tell her, still pointing.

"I don't see it and don't want to," She snapped. She must be in a really bad mood, I shouldn't provoke her.

I only nod but stay at the hidden heart display, admiring the hearts in the masterpiece.

"Sang!" Mother calls and I look up. "We're leaving." And with that, she exits the store.

I follow mother thinking, why have I started calling her mother and not mom?

I shook off my thoughts and did my homework. After that was done, I made dinner and dessert for my family.

I glance at the clock and slip on my shoes. I was supposed to meet karen at the end of the block at this time.

I give myself a once over. Yellow tank top, black skater skirt, leather boots. I was casual. I could do this.

I slip out the back door and start walking in the woods to the end of the block.

I spy a rusty brown car at the place Karen, Wil, and I had agreed to meet. Was this them?

I tiptoe closer and spy into the car. The engine was still running and I coud make out two people sitting at the driver and passenger seat.

I knock hesitantly at the driver's door and a girl with brown hair whips around.

"Sang!" I hear Karen's voice a bit muffled. I nod my head and she unlocks the back doors to the car. I slide in and shut the door.

"You take forever! I thought you'd never come!" Karen exaggerates and I giggle. Soon we're all laughing while we drive to the so called mall.

My family and I moved here to Charleston, South Carolina in the summer. I used to live at Illinois before. I think I like Charleston with it's hospitality.

Wil speaks up, "I was wondering, Sang, if I could speak to you for a moment?" He didn't involve karen so I guess he meant private.

"Sure," I reply.

Wil looks relived when Karen looks like she just had her blankie taken away from her. I wondered if she had wanted to talk to me too.

"I'll speak with you too Karen," I tell her but she doesn't smile.

That makes me worried, what was this all about?