Chapter 22

"Sang!" A voice jarres Karen and I's conversation as we walk towards the buses, sweaty from PE.

I turrn my head the direction I'd heard the voice come from and spot Wil running towards me, his face red.

I felt my panic drip away as he gets closer and relief replaces it. Wil was okay. He wasn't hurt. He wasn't sick.

"Wil!" I call to him and he soon reaches me with his face red and breathing ragged. He had a bundle of books in his arms.

"Hey, sorry I wasn't there at lunch *gasp* I could make it *gasp* here's the books..." He says trying to breath after running. I guess he wasn't athletic as Karen.

I take the books he was holding out and read the titles. They were the books he promised yesterday about advanced hacking.

"Thank you!" I tell him and when I don't get an answer, I look over him.

He's starig at Karen while she stares at him. I feel my face flush with embaressment. I clear my throat, "Wil, this is Karen. Karen this is Wil." I introduce them.

They're staring at each other like they're...lovestruck. I stifle a giggle. They like each other. I glance over at them one more time and see they're still staring at each other, I stilfe more giggles. I won't be able to for long because I'm sure my face is getting red from holding them in.

And suddenly, I couldn't hold them in anymore. I start giggling like crazy and them seem to snap out of the trance they were in.

Wil's cheeks were pink and so were Karen's.

She clears her throat and states, "I'm going to the mall tomorrow, you guys want to come?"

I hesitate, who would take me? Would my mother allow me? I immediatly shake the thought from my mind. Of course she wouldn't, I'd have to sneak out.

I know I shouldn't but I start nodding slowly with Wil following.

Karen claps her hands. "Great! I'll pick you two up after school tomorrow. Just give me your addresses."

I tell her mine but add, "Can you park a few houses over? My mother doesn't know I'm going."

Karen grins knowingly, "Of course! Sneaking out?" She teases.

I nod, my head hung in shame.

She claps my shoulder, "It's alright Sang! I do it all the time!" Karen continues, "Especially when I'm grounded. My mother thinks I'm such a goody two shoes and wouldn't dare defy her! She doesn't suspect a thing."

I take in a deep breath and feel confidence fill me. I could do this. Tomorrow would be a fun day. I hadn't been to a mall in four years! Not to metion I had the music class audition tomorrow.

I still haven't told them about that. I felt compelled to tell them about it for some reason. "I'm doing the music audition tomorrow at study hall, just wanted you guys to know." I tell them the last part shyly.

Karen and Wil wore identical grins. "I've been in music class for as long as I can remember!" Karen says with excitment in her voice.

Wil speaks up, "I'm doing the audition also, I've been wanting to learn to do DJ."

I understood that. Wil liked computers so why not make music with computers? It made sense. And Karen, when I had met her, she hadn't seemed like the musci type but people are more than the sum of their parts.

I was proof right here.

I shook of my thoughts and the three of us moved towards the buses. Karen and Wil sparked up a conversation while I silently strode, lost in thought.

I kept think back to what Silas had said. He was trying to get rid of me but couldn't. So it was my fault. I sighed when I thought of that.

If I avoid Silas does that mean I should avoid the rest of the boys?

Yes, I probably should. I would ignore them and not talk to them. I can't sit anywhere else in class because that was my assigned seat but I could still block them out.

For some reason, that made me devastatingly sad.