safe: touka × reader

2016

The snow was fresh enough to crunch under your feet, and the air was cool enough for your breath to come out as a white cloud. You drew your arms around yourself and shivered, your jacket doing nothing to keep you warm.

Flipping through your phone, the pool of worry in your stomach grew as you saw you still had no messages or calls from Touka. When she hadn't called at the usual time, you had called her.

But there was no answer.

"Where are you," you muttered. You closed your eyes and took a breath, thinking of where she could be.

Only one place came to mind, and you almost knew she would be there.

You didn't waste time and took off running in the direction of the park, the one with the huge fields and hills.

"Please be there," you silently prayed as you reached the gates. Just a few meters along there was a hole in the fence, which you and Touka had always slipped under to be alone.

You dropped to the ground and crawled under, ignoring the branches poking into your skin and the dirt smearing your clothes.

Dusting yourself off, you looked around, your breathing heavy, spinning until you saw her.

You ran, to her figure on top of the hill, relief filling you.

But something was wrong. She was hunched over, her breathing irregular. Her small frame shook, and something told you it wasn't from the cold.

"Touka?" You tested.

"Go away," came the harsh reply.

Doing exactly the opposite, you dropped to your knees next to her, the snow soaking through your jeans and numbing your legs.

"Everyone's worried," you said. There was no answer, and you reached a careful hand out to rest on her back.

She jerked forwards immediately, as if your touch had burnt her, and slammed into you, landing above you in the snow.

Touka was small but incredibly strong, and you were unable to move from underneath her. The snow was now soaking into your back and hair, and you squeezed your eyes shut, not looking at Touka's blazing face.

You took a breath and exhaled onto her. She shifted above you, pinning you down with more force.

"It's okay," you said, quietly.

"It's okay, it's okay, it's okay..." you repeated the two words over and over until you were out of breath and white clouds of mist no longer spilled from your lips when you breathed.

You kept your eyes closed through the silence that followed, until a sharp sob broke through it.

The weight above you was no longer crushing as your eyes flew open, and you surged forward to wrap her in a hug.

Your coat was already wet from the snow, but you could still feel her hot tears on your cheek, and you rocked gently.

"You're safe," you whispered, free hand stroking her equally damp and cold hair.

"But you're not," she choked. You kissed her, and it was salty from the tears running down her face.

"I'm sorry," she said in between breathless kisses, kisses that could make you ignore the snow around you and make you feel like sobbing yourself.

No one said this would be easy.

♡♡♡♡♡

this is beyond late, but I've finally had some free time yaay

hope you like, I'm not entirely sure who to do next

I was thinking haruhi from host club, (yes or nah)?

thanks for reading