games: shuka × reader

2020

Honestly idk how old she is but if it turns out she's 14 like Yuno, she's aged up for the sake of me writing this

***

You crouched low on the roof, waiting. Each one of your senses was straining, to hear a scuffle of a shoe, to see a figure leap into view, even if you could just feel her presence, you would have been reassured. But all that surrounded you when you tuned out the background hum of the city, was quiet.

The roof, whilst a good place to see the bustling streets around you, left you feeling exposed, and you decided to move. You took a long, running start, feeling your feet practically fly across the rooftop, before you sprung off the side, deftly landing on another rooftop, that had a small, silver door leading to the empty building below. Thank god for sigils, you thought.

You yanked open the door; Shuka wouldn't expect you to move to lower ground, not when you usually held the advantage. If only you knew where she was. Behind the door was a ladder, and you scaled down it, jumping down onto a soft carpet. Your boots made a dull thump as you hit the floor, and you admired the deep red carpet for a moment before taking in the rest of your surroundings. A long corridor, cream wallpaper, pale pink flowers and gold adornment. A hotel, maybe? You weren't too sure, and just as you were puzzling it out, you saw it.

There, for a split second, a yellow rope of hair swung into sight, before it and its owner disappeared down another corridor. You ran after her, not minding how heavy and out of place the noise from your boots sounded. She was in your sights.

As if she had felt your confidence, and had decided to remind you not to underestimate her, she had disappeared by the time you reached the end of the corridor. Before you was either a flight of stairs, that turned down and continued out of sight, or a set of shiny elevators. You paused, debating the options. The elevators would make an easy trap, and you'd have nowhere to run if she was waiting on the other side for you.

You headed for the stairs, bounding down the steps two at a time. After about a flight and a half, you heard the railing rattle slightly from two flights below. You froze, listening. The faint sound of a boot stepping forward, cut short by the sudden silence, sounded through the narrow stairwell. After a moment of quiet, the footfall began again, quicker this time, and you smiled to yourself.

You swung your legs over the railing, and jumped down. Your whole stomach dropped along with you, before you caught hold of the banister. The fire exit door to the building swung shut with a loud thunk as you hopped off the stairs. She had outran you again, but you preferred it when you were the one doing the chasing. You looked about for any other exits, but finding none, you went for the same door.

It opened up into a car park, deadly quiet. You hung around the back, slinking around the walls and listening for any sign of her. A soft giggle floated over from your right. You ducked behind a car, peering out through the windows, and waited. She didn't make any move to appear, so you crouched right down to the ground, flattening yourself to see if you could spot any feet from under the cars that were scattered around.

Just as you were stretching your neck to see further to your right, a thick chain struck the floor besides you with shocking force, sending you reeling backwards. You looked up, and she was hanging from the light fixtures on the ceiling, chains hovering around her menacingly. The sharp ends were all trained on you, frozen in mid-air as Shuka grinned down at you.

You rolled away, scrambling to your feet just before another chain slashed through the air, right where you'd been lying seconds before. She dropped down behind you, landing on the roof of a car. Out of instinct, your hand went to your belt, where you kept an average sized but horribly sharp knife, and pulled it out. Her eyes followed the movement, and when you threw it towards her direction.

Immediately taking advantage of the second you were unguarded, Shuka sprang forward, missing the knife and wrapping a chain around your ankles in one swift move. She yanked and you fell to the ground, feet twisted amongst the metal. You struggled and kicked, but the more you moved the more the chains seemed to wrap themselves around your legs, and eventually you fell still.

You felt the floor scrape your arms, and you realised she was pulling the chains, manually dragging you towards her. She stopped when you were at her feet, crouching down next to you.

"Do you surrender?" She asked in a sweet voice, stroking the stray hair away from your face. You bit your lip, frowning as you briefly wondered if you could escape this situation.

Shuka seemed to read your thoughts, as she cupped your cheeks with her hands, bringing her face right close to yours. She was still breathing hard, and her eyes, still alight with adrenaline, bore into yours.

"Do you?" She breathed, and you eventually nodded in defeat.

"I surrender." You sighed. She clapped her hands, jumping up and down. You propped yourself up on your elbows, watching her with a mixture of amusement and disappointment.

"That means I get to choose where we eat for the next month!" Shuka pulled you up, wrapping you in an excited hug.

"Don't act like you don't usually win," you said, rubbing your sore ankles. "Now I have to sit through yet another month of karaoke dinners."

"Maybe you should try winning," Shuka said, and dodged out the way laughing when you playfully smacked her.

"Let's go home," you said, wrapping an arm around her waist.

***

Might make today a double update if I can since this doesn't really feel like it was worth the wait

much love, Bee