logic: fem!L × reader PT 1

2020

Couldn't really find much art of fem!L that wasn't rough pencil drawing, so I just used the original picture

Mention of gangs, minor mentions of death and blood

♤♤♤

You'd always considered yourself intelligent and capable.

There was no denying you had gained respect from all your colleagues in your field of work.

But then there was always something else. You liked to call it an addiction to adrenaline, a need for a thrill that kept you from following a certain path.

You would have done well on the other side of the scales. As a detective, or an investigator. But you ended up on the side that had you watching the people who worked for you wipe blood off their hands.

The side that gave you power, more than being a detective could have given you. The thrill of the secret identity, the game you played with possibly the most famous detective in the world.

Presently, you sat facing a computer screen, a live message playing from it, from L herself. You leant forward to hear, smiling quietly to yourself.

"...I can assure you, games won't last very long. It is only a matter of time before the names behind this operation are uncovered. Yours included." The heavily auto tuned voice said, and you paused for a second before answering.

"I find myself offended you think I'm playing a game, detective. This is a serious operation. Payment must be received one way or another, and unfortunately many people choose the hard way."

The mic on L's side crackled slightly, whether from quality, or the detective sighing, you weren't too sure.

"Our first step is finding where you have access to the medicine you distribute. After lying to hundreds of people and inflating your payments to an extreme, you come calling if your price is not met."

"Lying?" You cut across her. "Detective, if there's one thing I'm not, it's dishonest."

"You lie about your identity on a constant, and half the medication you distribute are placebos. Forgive me if I don't stop to discuss the shades of grey you believe you work in."

"Touché," you grinned. "Forgive me, detective, but I should be going."

Although you had respect, you also had a good number of your members disagreeing with the way you dealt with the detective. Many thought you enjoyed yourself too much, and it was putting everyone else at risk.

But you couldn't help it. You didn't know what L looked like, what she sounded like without the auto tune, and the idea occupied your thoughts.

You didn't doubt she was a girl, only another woman's mind could match yours, and you knew how good she was. She was the reason you never risked staying in the same place for too long, moving from house to house every couple months. Your current one had glass walls stretching around the whole building, three floors and an indoor pool.

You smirked. Life as a detective could have never landed you such luxury.

You turned to a girl in the corner of the room who was sifting through a pile of papers, her back turned to you.

"Call Mikhail in here."

Her head snapped up and nodded, leaving without a word. She came back not five minutes later, a young man following behind her.

"Have they payed yet?" You asked, and Mikhail shook his head.

"That makes them a month late," he said, pushing his glasses up his nose. You sighed.

"They've had enough warnings." You tapped your finger on your desk in impatience. "Send someone over tonight, any two."

Mikhail gave you a smile like a shark, and you didn't let the disgust it made you feel show, instead waving both him and the girl away.

You never dwelled on the fates of these people, fully aware they were not pleasant ones. Sympathy gets you nowhere, and you certainly didn't get to where you were by letting anyone off.

***

Four hours. It had been four hours since the Mikhail had left with his two men, and a pit of anxiety planted itself firmly in your stomach. It never took this long, and Mikhail had done this a hundred times over.

Enough was enough.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

You smiled grimly. It had been years since you actually dealt with such matters personally, but you were quickly becoming angry with your employees. It was a simple task.

"Have them bring the car around front."

***

The door was open, yet there was no sound, no movement. You walked up the path, your men at the gate, seething quietly at the sudden incompetence of Mikhail.

Where was he?

The house was empty. No bodies, no blood, no evidence anything had happened. Had the family escaped, knowing they were late? Was Mikhail searching for them now?

You raised a hand to your temple, spinning around, trying to piece together a picture of what happened.

A mug of tea rested near the sink, half filled with the green bitter liquid. So someone had been here. You reached out to lift up the mug, stopping dead as your fingers closed around it.

It was still warm.

Instantly, your confusion turned into panic, and you let the mug drop into the sink, turning to leave the house as fast as you could.

"ON THE GROUND. HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD."

Too late.

"NOW."

You were torn between bitterness, rage, betrayal. You bit your lip, unsure if you were about to scream or laugh. Knees hitting the floor, you kept your head down, blocking out the rest of the commotion around you now. You kept your head down even as an officer squatted down next to you, holding a laptop, the webcam pointed directly at you.

"Hello, (Y/n)."

Part 2 coming tomorrow...

***
Wow it's been a while

In all honesty when I logged out of Wattpad to focus on my work and education and health, I expected this book to be completely forgotten

So imagine my surprise when I come back to 1 million reads <3 never would have thought I'd ever reach that so thank you guys so so much

Made me a little guilty actually so I'm really sorry to anyone who's messaged me, waited for updates and sent requests

Anyway, lockdown has me crawling back to this app, and believe me I'm inspired to continue this once again now:)

much love, Bee