baddie: jessica rabbit × reader PT 1

2020

Seeing her sing for the first time in the movie was my gay awakening i won't lie to you guys

***

You always had entertainment. You were never starved of attention, or praise. And in your mind, you deserved it. You had worked for it to be like this and you wouldn't have it any other way.

At this point, owning four of the city's most popular clubs, you felt you had seen every form of entertainment, love, applause and attention people tried to give you. The dancers bored you and the singers sang the same damn things over and over. Those girls were easy to read, willing to do anything to impress and you despised them for it.

But that was before you had seen Jessica. Upon first meeting her you had briefly wondered if magic had been real this entire time, because you noticed how it seemed physically impossible to ignore her presence as she entered a room, and once you had, tearing your eyes away proved even more difficult. She had the ability to change the whole mood and dynamic of a room with just her entrance, and it almost made you angry that you struggled to resist just like the men next to you.

The difference with Jessica and the performers you owned, although she sang similar songs, and had the same men falling at her feet every night, was that she never had to try. She captured attention effortlessly, and you were completely entertained every time she appeared on stage.

She didn't thrive off of it, either. The other singers had thrown themselves at you without a second thought, desperate to be the favourite, the best paid, or get extra performances. But she would never do such a thing.

It's what made you have to have her.

The club was dimly lit, a young boy lifting up the chairs by their plush cushioning and setting them atop the table, wiping his brow as he went. You wrinkled your nose at the general decor, finding it tacky, as if the designer had intended the club to look rich and sophisticated, but their budget hadn't allowed it in the end.

Thankfully, this wasn't yours. You came here for one reason only, and you knew she was currently in a dressing room somewhere at the back of the building.

"Still here?" You swivelled around on your bar stool, another example of poor taste in design, to see the bartender, doing a final wipe down of the counter.

"Nowhere else to be at the moment," you replied. Your drink was still before you, half empty, the ice cubes slowly shrinking in size as they melted. You watched.

"I'm sure that's not true," he said, and you looked up, indignant, before catching the knowing smile on his face. You closed your mouth in a small defeat, opting to stay silent and swirl the remaining ice chips round and round inside the glass.

The bartender went back to closing up the bar, neatly stacking the glasses on the shelf above his head, humming softly. You recognised the tune as Jessica's signature song.

"Done?" He was pointing at your glass, and you shook your head.

"Five more minutes."

That's how much longer you would wait for. You still had a reputation, and you wouldn't be seen waiting around like a desperate puppy for much longer.

"I need to talk to you about my music..." the voice almost seemed to float across the hall, and you turned in your seat to see Jessica walking down the stairs from the dressing rooms.

"That's fine, just talk to me tomorrow, okay?" The reply was short and impatient, and whoever she'd been speaking to closed their office door upstairs, signalling the firm end to their conversation.