what we were: nebula × reader

2020

Strong, dangerous women? Yes please.

Not an AU exactly, but I'm not using any canon plot lines tbh, it would get wayyy too complicated for me

Note: italics represent the past

***

When two people with big plans meet, it gives the term "when worlds collide" a whole new meaning. This would have been fine, if it hadn't been for the way you'd met. Maybe, if you'd been enemies from the very beginning, and you'd met Nebula whilst trying she was trying to kill you, none of this would have happened. Maybe if her own paranoia hadn't won out, leaving her to question even your motives, you wouldn't be sitting here, alone.

But you were, and you stared out at the black expanse before you, the curved windows of your ship making you feel as though you were looking out from a fishbowl. Usually, the feeling of regret was foreign to you. There was never any looking back, any dwelling on past events. There was never time or space to do so, but now that's all you had, and there was nothing to distract you from the heavy regret weighing down your chest. You thought about how you used to be, and dimly wondered if it could ever go back.

Nebula had always been intense. You admired the way she seemed to maintain such a calm, breathy voice whilst staring daggers into whoever the subject of her temper was. That voice, that lulled her enemies into a false sense of security, that you heard first thing in the morning and last at night, and that kept you hanging onto every one of her words.

She was talking now, quietly to herself, as though she were going through a list, and you wriggled forward on your stomach so you were lying next to her. She paused, looking down at you.

"What are you doing?" Always so serious to begin with, but you gave a teasing smile.

"You need to rest your mind too, you know." You said.

She sighed, but you knew what she sounded like when she was genuinely annoyed, and she wasn't even close in this moment. The difference between the two of you, was that you knew when to step back and breathe. Nebula had always been the opposite, her mind always working, ready to spring into action in a single second.

There was only one way to get her to relax, and you loved the idea of you also being the only person who could do it. You sat up on your knees, resting comfortably behind her tense back as she sat on the edge of the bed, still straining to remember whatever she'd been reciting before. You rested her your palms gently on her shoulders, rubbing your thumbs in small circles around the back of her neck.

She let out a deep exhale, and you knew it was some of the weight lifting off her shoulders, even if it was only temporary. Once her frame was considerably less tense, you leant against her, draping your arms completely around her neck. Your chest rested across her back, your face buried in her neck. When she let you stay like that, you knew she truly felt at ease, allowing you to leave delicate kisses along the line of her jaw.

"Everything's okay for now," you whispered quietly, feeling her shift her weight so she was also pressing into you, her head tipping back slightly. This was a temporary solution, and you knew it. You tried not to think about the day when something like this wouldn't be enough to calm Nebula, to bring her down from her overworked state of mind.

Growing up in constant competition meant trust didn't come easily for her. And you knew she craved to be on top for once more than anything. More than you, although you also tried not to think about that.

But you let her rest in your arms, drawing her back into the bed with you. The two of you didn't speak much, just rested, entangled. Your lips met every now and then, for slow, tired kisses. For now, everything was okay.

Your chest tightened as the memory came flooding back to you. Apparently, okay hadn't been enough, and the memory was becoming tainted by the reminder that you'd never be able to be with her again, and all at once the pain was sharp and deep.

Through the pain of the stinging realisation, your mind came back to the word "okay". It was so incredibly underwhelming. The more the word bounced around your head the more inadequate it felt, and the anger began to build up. The two of you had been more than "okay". Not once had you ever not felt at home in her arms, and not once had your heart not quickened at her touch. Most of all, not once had you ever felt this much grief over another person before. You supposed that was why the hurt was so heavy, you weren't used to the feeling.

Until her.

Though you still felt the weight and the pain, you found yourself smiling. You knew there was more to the two of you than "okay", and you were almost angry with yourself for not putting up more of a fight in the first place. Hurt like this being a foreign feeling, you had walked away too easily, not wanting to admit the true scale of what you felt. You hoped the expression 'better late than never' had some truth to it, because it was late.

You lay back, still smiling, and planning to change course after you slept. You weren't sure what she had been doing in your time apart, and part of you was worried she had changed too much. But so have I, you thought, and you closed your eyes, letting your body relax. In the morning, you would deal with all the new thoughts and plans. 

Besides, all you had now was space, and plenty of time to find Nebula.

***

Is it just me who still feels the ghost of their mask on their face sometimes it's so uncomfortable

This was a request I got a small while ago, I decided to bump it up bc I haven't even wrote a Marvel character yet, and that is not "okay" :) thank you lovely person with the request it was mad fun to write x

much love, Bee