The Diagnosis

"You're here!" Bennie looked up in surprise. "Whoah, that was quick!" She jumped up, bangles jingling, and grabbed my hand as I entered the tiny checkup room. Dad wasn't there.

"Urinary test," she said at my expression, which may have been a bit panicky. "How'd it go? They didn't want you to stay and hear results? Mingle with famous people? Do what you rock stars do these days?"

I shook my head at her and she looked down, realizing my hands were shaking. Her smile disappeared.

"What happened?" she demanded.

"I... walked out," I said, sinking into the little plastic chair in the corner.

"No." Bennie was frozen at the doorway, staring at me.

"Yes." I closed my eyes, forehead in my hands. I could tell she was gaping at me because she still hadn't said anything. But it didn't take long for her to realize.

"Oh no," she breathed. "You got my text before you went up, didn't you?"

I nodded at the floor.

"No no no, Claire!" she turned away from me and covered her face with her hands. "I knew I shouldn't have sent it. I only did because you made me promise to tell you as soon as I heard..." she was muttering into her hands. Suddenly she was kneeling in front of me, peeling my own hands from my face.

"This was huge! This was what you wanted, what your dad wanted--"

"It's what the old Dad wanted!" I exploded, "The new one puts his keys in the freaking microwave!"

The door swung open before she could respond, before I could apologize, and there he was.

"Dad," I breathed, rushing up to hug him. 

"Claire Bear!" He grinned his lopsided smile. He'd always been a heartbreaker. Still was. "Where you been? Thought you'd be with me at these stupid appointments."

"I was..." I could never lie to Dad. He could always tell.

"She was at the dentist," Bennie supplied. I shot her a grateful look.

"Couldn't reschedule," I shrugged with a guilty smile. That was technically true.
He rolled his eyes and poked my nose.

"Cavity again?" He stepped past me into the room. "Keep better care of those pearly whites, or they'll fall out before mine will!" The paper rustled as he sat down on the checkup table.

I pointed at him to Bennie and mouthed, does he know?

She shook her head.

I felt like throwing up. I shouldn't have let Bennie talk me into letting her take him. What if I hadn't been here? He needed me here for this. 

There was a knock on the door, and the doctor walked in, clipboard in hand.

"Oh." he paused a little in surprise before settling on his stool. "Glad you could make it, Claire. Reese, you may want to have her here while we talk about the tests from last time."

"That's what I dragged her with me for," he grinned. Bennie gave me a tight smile and slipped out into the hall.

"Wonderful. Well, Reese, I'm going to show you your results and explain them to you, but I want you to brace yourself. The results are... well, unusual. It's known to happen at your age, but it's very rare." He took a breath. "I'm afraid the news isn't positive."

Dad frowned, and I reached over and slipped my hand in his. The audition was the last thing on my mind. When he looked at me and squeezed my hand, I knew I made the right choice.

"Well, okay then," he said. "Let's hear it."

The room was silent after the doctor left; he told us we could stay as long as we needed. Dad was hunched over, staring at the wall, hands gripping the edge of the checkup table.

I watched him, at a loss at what to say. Dad was always so untouchable. Nothing could dampen his mood, nothing could break his carefree outlook.

I couldn't bear to see him this way.

I reached out and touched his hand.

"Daddy?"

He grabbed at it like it was a lifeline.

"Well, Claire Bear." He sounded defeated. "Sounds like you're going to have to take care of your old man for a change, now." He cleared his throat, lightening his tone. "About time. I deserve a break after chasing you around for twenty years." He looked at me then, giving me that lopsided smile. It didn't reach his eyes.

"Let's go home. I hate these places, they smell like morgues." He squeezed my hand and hopped down from the table.

I followed him out, blinking back the stinging tears that threatened to spill out yet again.

Don't forget to hit that star <3 Chapter song is Voices by Falling Up.