Bomb Drop

The doorbell rang, and I wiped my palms on my jeans before heading to answer it. I took a deep breath and twisted the knob, revealing Jared and Davey on the other side of the door. Jared's acoustic was slung over his shoulder, and Davey stood beside him, one hand shoved deep into his pocket.

"Hey, c'mon in." I stepped aside.

"Nice place." Jared looked around the hallway, which was flooded with natural light from the tall windows above the front door. I shut the door behind Davey and stuck an arm in the direction of the kitchen.

"Ahh, can I get you anything? Coffee? Toast?"

"Brought our own." Jared held up a to-go cup of coffee.

"Got one for you, too," said Davey, handing me a cup.

I smiled. "You are an angel."

"Why have we never been here before?" Jared was still looking around, taking in all his surroundings.

I cleared my throat. "Well then. Should we get started?"

"On what exactly?" asked Jared.

I took a breath before slipping around them and gesturing to the studio door. "Well, I guess I'll show you."

I pushed it open and stepped inside. I got to the middle of the room before realizing that the guys weren't behind me. I turned to see them stopped in the doorway, gaping at the room. At the walls which seemed to close in a bit, thick with ridged foam hanging at intervals; at the thick, heavy door and the raised floor. At all the instruments hanging up and laying around-- enough to look like a guitar shop.

I bit my lip, waiting for someone to say something.

"What..." Jared gripped the doorway. "I'm so confused."

Davey scanned the room without a word, but his eyes held a glint of excitement.

"You can come in."

Jared's guitar case slipped off his shoulder, and he set it down, not taking his eyes off the room.

"Claire, please explain."

My shoulders were tense, but I gave an awkward shrug. "My dad isn't in finance like I told you."

Jared laughed a little, stepping inside. "Your dad... is an audio engineer?"

"Yeah." I backed up, watching them take in the room.

It was a moment before anyone else spoke. Jared and Davey wandered inside, looking around, touching the instruments and gear. But finally, Jared stopped and turned around. His gaze zeroed in on me.

"You need to tell us why this is the first we've heard about all this."

This was what I'd been afraid of. But I'd prepared for the worst. I straightened, setting my shoulders back, and looked him in the eye.

"No, I don't."

Jared's eyes darkened. "Excuse me?"

I let a beat pass before I answered. "I didn't have to tell you about it at all."

He pulled back, flinching like I'd shouted. "I don't believe this."

Davey stepped forward and placed a hand in the middle of Jared's chest, forcing Jared to look him in the eye.

"Think about it, Jar. She's right."

"Seriously?" Jared said. "You're defending her? You can't be okay with this."

"Well I don't understand it," Davey said. "But I know there's probably a much bigger picture here."

The room was silent as Jared visibly struggled for an answer.

Davey turned to look at me. "Whatever her reasons for not telling us, she's doing what you told her to do. She's not holding back."

His gaze held mine, entirely trusting. I nodded at him, sending him silent thanks with my eyes.

"You're serious about making this work. And finally, I am too." I gestured with my arm to the room. "I've been stubborn all my life about doing everything myself. Not taking any favors or any help from my dad. But I'm realizing that by doing that, I was holding you back as well as me."

I took a breath. Jared stared at me, and Davey gave me an encouraging nod. My fingers interlocked with each other as I tried to keep from fidgeting.

"Which brings me to something else you need to know." I moved to the door of the studio and leaned out to call up the stairs.

"Dad? Wanna meet the guys?"

"Be right down!"

I ducked back into the studio and faced the guys.

"So..." Jared turned in a circle to look at the room once more. "You brought us here to... what?"

"Well, my dad has plenty of instruments and equipment for us to play around with." I rifled through a pile of equipment on a desk in the corner. "And here's our second loop pedal." I held it up.

"But you could've just brought that to the storage room. Why'd you really bring us here, Claire?"

"Hey guys! Jared and Davey, right?"

We all turned to to see Dad smiling-- no, glowing-- in the doorway.

Jared gaped. Davey turned to me; I'd never seen that much panic in his eyes.

"Is..." Jared cleared his throat, stepping forward to shake Dad's outstretched hand. "Sorry, are you...?"

Dad's lips twitched a little; no one else noticed but me, but I could see he was enjoying this. It was a little amusing, seeing Davey this scared. But not amusing enough to make me enjoy it too. I was frozen in the middle of the room, unable to help diffuse the tension.

"Am I who?" Dad played dumb.

"Reese De Cecco?" Davey spoke up, his voice choked.

"That's me!" Dad shot them his winning lopsided smile.

"Holy crap." Jared was still scraping for words. "I love The Staines, you guys were--"

He cut himself off and turned to me.

"Claire." I could tell that he couldn't decide whether to be angry or ecstatic. "You never told us your dad is a musical genius?"

Claire just dropped a bomb... do you think Jared is going to be mad?

Chapter song is Big TV by White Lies :)