Trapped

Bennie took to the graffiti life like a fish to water. She was over in the corner with Casanova now, gushing about paint and color schemes, technique and equipment. He and the crew were prepping to paint the outside, waiting until it was sufficiently dark and the traffic subsided before going outside.

Casanova humored her, chatting back good-naturedly, but that mischievous glint would flash in his eyes and his lips would press together in a silent smirk whenever she asked a question with an incriminating answer. He had to leave something to the imagination, he teased her.

Lana and I watched from the bar, where the stools had been reinstated now that the indoor work was done. We had begun putting some furniture back but were under strict orders NOT TO TOUCH THE WALLS, by Mark, so we decided to take a break as to avoid his suspicious glares.

"How's that band of yours coming?" asked Lana as we leaned back onto the edge of the counter, the only surface in the room we wouldn't get yelled at for touching.

I grimaced, remembering the lyrics notebook that was way emptier than it should've been. "We're gearing up for some big things," I pushed some black strands of hair out of my eyes. "I just hope I can keep up so the whole thing doesn't come crashing down."

My words surprised me at how much I meant them. I really wanted us to succeed. I really wanted to hold up my end of this.

"Baby, I have absolutely no doubt you can keep up." Lana smiled at me, the laugh lines around her eyes crinkling. "I'm sure they feel the same way about you, what with your daddy being who he is."

My head snapped around to face her. I'd never told her who he was. I assumed she wouldn't know-- only true fans would recognize the drummer, no matter how big a band got.

She grinned at me. "What? You didn't think I recognized him? Did the first time you two walked in this door."

I gaped at her. "You've never said anything!"

"Course not! You were just a daddy and his daughter trying to enjoy a right good steak, if I do say so myself. And when you kept coming back, I figured you'd tell me if you wanted me to know."

I shook my head and leaned back against the counter. "Full of surprises."

She winked cheekily back at me. "Just tryin' to keep life interesting."

The guys were starting to file out the front door, carrying bags of paint and huge stencils with them. Bennie darted towards us.

"This is so amazing!" She stopped in front of me, grabbing my hands, squealing in excitement. "I'm so glad you showed me, even if we had to face the wrath of Mark."

"Nah, he don't have the balls to do more than just yell at people," said Lana, waving a hand in the air.

Bennie snuck a glance at him as he headed outside. "He'd be sexy if he wasn't a total tool."

Lana and I smirked at each other. We didn't fall for the misdirection of her dismissive tone.

"Cas, though!" She looked over her shoulder again, this time at Casanova himself. She turned back to us. "He's cute!" She dropped her tone to a half-whisper, nudging me with a meaningful look.

I gave her a strange look in return. "Bennie." I lifted my hand to my face, waving it around my mouth and nose pointedly. "He's kind of wearing a gas mask."

"So? It's the eyes. I can totally tell."

Lana and I looked at each other and shrugged.

"We should go watch!" Bennie tugged on my hand, yanking me off the stool. I shook my head, looking back at Lana desperately.