How To Bait a Graffiti Artist™

I wasn't quite sure how to go about contacting an anonymous graffiti artist who was hiding from the law.

I'd been lucky to run into him twice now, but I didn't expect another coincidence. I'd have to come up with a better idea this time.

It was Thursday, and the guys, Dad, and I had relocated back to the V-Bar to finish up the last of our songs in a larger space, with all of our gear. We nearly had a small set of four new songs, now-- and with the addition of a few of our older ones, we were almost ready for tomorrow night's gig.

I was struggling to focus, though. It was dinnertime, and the guys were talking about going out to eat. I had lyrics to finish and parts to perfect and all I could think about was Lana and Casanova, and if I was totally insane for thinking I could try one more time to find him.

"What do you think, Claire? We're thinkin' tacos," Dad said from across the room, jerking me back to the present.

I blinked. "I don't know." I frowned at the notebook in my hand-- the pages were stubbornly blank. "I really need to finish these lyrics."

"We can bring you some?" Davey suggested, leaning on the keyboard, watching me. He'd been less distracted by his shyness today, more attuned to my distant mood.

"No, you guys go ahead. I'll get something to eat downstairs, and stay and work on it up here where there are no distractions. Anyway, I need to practice on my own, too-- we can put everything together in the morning."

Jared stood. "Sounds good to me. Let's go; those tacos are calling my name," he said, twirling his keychain around on one finger.

"Same," said Dad, and they headed out the door. "See you at home, Claire!"

Davey lingered in the doorway. "You'll be okay?"

I sent him a smile. "Yeah, thanks. Go get some tacos, you beanpole!"

His lips curved up just a little at the edges. "Good luck."

After the guys left, I headed down to the bar to get dinner. Ian brought me my burger and I slumped in the corner seat; and soon, Otto came to join me.

"You're looking chipper."

I shrugged, giving him a wry smile. "What can I say, I'm a ray of sunshine."

"What's up?" Otto leaned down a bit to peer at me. "Something's on your mind."

I wasn't about to list everything; that would've taken all night. And I wasn't going to talk to Otto about Dad. So I deflected with the absurd.

"You wouldn't happen to know any graffiti artists, would you?"

Otto's forehead creased in thought. "Hmmm. It's possible I might know someone who does."

I perked up at that, straightening a little. "Really? I was being sarcastic."

One of Otto's eyebrows quirked up. "So you don't want a graffiti artist for something?"

"No, no, I do. I just wasn't expecting..." I shook my head. "I should've known. You know everyone."

Otto grinned. "Other way around, love-- everyone knows me. I'll see what I can do. Anything specific you're wanting one for?"

My mind raced to think of a way this could get back to Casanova.

"Wait, is this about, like, an album cover design?" Otto asked. "That's such a great idea, to have a graffiti artist design it!"

I almost snorted aloud and immediately corrected him. We were nowhere near looking at album cover designs. We were nowhere near an album.

But I stopped myself just in time, an idea formulating in my mind. This could be the answer.

"Yeah," I said. "I thought it'd be cool, too. I'm looking specifically for an Easter lily design. Can you see if you can get the word out about that?"

"I can try," said Otto.

"Maybe mention the gig here tomorrow night? We could talk then, work out something mutually beneficial."

Otto was typing into his phone. "Easter lily, gig tomorrow night, mutually beneficial. Got it. I'll send this out and see what happens!"

I smiled. "Perfect."

All I could do was hope this found its way to Casanova somehow. If it did, I think he'd understand the message-- at least be curious enough about it to investigate. I'd just have to wait and let him find me-- just like Bennie said.

Claire is becoming quite the schemer! Think her plans are going to work? Hit the star and let me know in the comments :)

Chapter song is Hide & Seek by Amber Run.