Graffiti War

"Where have you been all day?"

I tried not to flinch at the question. It was the third time he'd asked since I'd gotten home an hour ago.

Dad was sprawled out on the couch in his studio, watching me in the doorway. I looked anywhere but his eyes as I answered.

"Out writing music with the guys," I said, as evenly as I could. "They're trying to get a record deal with Unity."

"Unity?" Dad blinked at me, just as he had the first two times I'd told him. But then he squeezed his eyes shut and ran a hand through his hair. "Oh-- oh, that's right. You told me. I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry." I looked at him now, but this time he wouldn't meet my eyes.

"Daddy."

He still wouldn't look up, and muttered a curse at the floor. His fingers were edging into his hair, sure sign of agitation.

"How bout we go to Ricky's for dinner?"

Dad looked up, sharp eyes meeting my own. "Smooth change of subject. I don't forget everything, you know." He looked back at the shag carpet and muttered, "Not yet."

But he stood, as I knew he would, because he couldn't turn down a t-bone steak from Ricky's Bar and Grill.

"Guess you're driving, huh?" he muttered again, and I forced a smile because I knew he wanted me to think he was making a joke. The doctor had strongly suggested not to drive, which had not gone over well with Dad.

"Payback for the years I had to rely on you to drive me around. Not fun to be on this end, is it?" I tried to joke back as I followed him out the door. Neither of us laughed.

The mood had lightened and tension loosened as we walked into Ricky's, the little bell at the top of the door announcing our arrival. There was no Ricky at Ricky's Bar and Grill, but the stocky waitress behind the bar recognized us.

"De Cecco! It's been too long, honey!" Her voice boomed over Blondie that floated from the ceiling speakers.

"Lovely Lana," Dad smiled his heart-stopping half-smile at her.

"And who are you?" Lana turned her mischievous eyes to me. "I don't even recognize you."

I grinned at Lana. "I missed you too, Lana."

She shook her head and swatted a towel at me from over the bar. "Kids." Her face broke out into a smile. "Well siddown! What can I get you?"

"You can tell those clowns to get out of our seats," said Dad. Our usual seats-- the last two at the end of the bar, closest to the TV-- were taken by what looked like a couple on a date.

Lana shrugged coyly. "That's what happens when my favorite customers cheat on me with Bill the delivery man."

Dad gave her a guilty grin. "We'll come back to you for good if your t-bone steak is as perfect as I remember."

"Same as always for you too, Claire Bear?"

"You know it."

Lana whisked away to relay our orders to the kitchen.

Dad pouted at the TV, which was on the local news channel.

"I wanted to watch football."

"You can watch at home, it's recording."

"Ricky's isn't right without football."

"Well, ask them to change the channel."

Dad looked over at the couple, who didn't seem very shy about PDA, and shuddered. "I'll pass." He turned to me. "You don't ever do any of that stuff, right? We still believe that about each other?"

My face screwed up. "Dad. Part of that unspoken agreement is to keep it unspoken."

Dad shrugged. "Fine. As long as you tell me if anyone breaks your heart, so I can beat the living daylights out of him." He rested an elbow on the counter and lifted a finger to emphasize. "After I shoot him in the head with that shotgun I bought when I was sure you'd be pretty."

I gaped at him and smacked him on the shoulder. "Dad!"

"What?" He was chuckling. "I just had to make sure you wouldn't look like me!"

My lips twitched, he could tell I was hiding a smile.

"There it is." He poked at my face. "Can't pretend I'm not funny."

"You're so not funny." But I was fully smiling when Lana came back with our food.

She set the plates in front of us and paused when she caught sight of the TV.

"That Platt guy again," she sighed.

"Mayor Platt?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah. He's made a right mess of things for us local business owners. I've been waiting to hear if he's running again." She raised her voice. "Turn that up for me, would ya, Sugar?"

The couple broke apart long enough to turn up the volume.

"--Revitalizing the Anti-Graffiti Act that had been set aside due to the economy issues as one of the last things I do during my term as mayor."

The camera panned to the reporter. "One last question, Mayor. Do you intend to continue this war on graffiti for another term?"

"Absolutely. I'm not finished yet. Both crime and graffiti is on the rise and I don't think it's a coincidence. I believe that I have the experience and drive to reduce it significantly-- a big part of that plan is the Anti-Graffiti Act. A cleaner city is a safer city."

"Wonderful. Thank you, Mayor Platt." The reporter turned to face the camera. "This is our first--"

Lana marched over and punched a button. The TV blinked and the screen went black. Dad and I turned back to Lana, who didn't look happy.

"Can't get rid of that man, can I?" She pressed her lips together. "Sorry, Reece, I'll put your football game on now. Enjoy your meal!" Her lips stretched in a tight smile and she disappeared into the back room.

I blinked at my burger. War on graffiti? What would this mean for Casanova?

Hit that star! Chapter song is To Lose My Life by White Lies. :)