Burger Break

"Should we take a break and get some dinner?" I leaned back, balancing my guitar on my lap.

Jared looked up from his pedal board. "We're not exactly at a stopping point."

We were in the middle of a song, trying to flesh out the bare bones of the progressions we'd come up with.

Davey's long fingers were skimming across the keyboard, but he paused to agree with me. "This might be the best stopping point we get."

Dad's desk chair rotated around to face us. "I think you might be right. Let's go to Ricky's! My treat."

We hadn't spoken about what happened earlier, but he'd gone back to his cheerful self as soon as we rejoined the guys, as if he'd forgotten it happened. My gut clenched. Maybe he did.

"You don't have to--" I started, but Dad waved me off.

"It won't be long, it's close. Plus, they're men. They need a real meal! None of that frozen pizza crap." He winked at Davey, who turned away, trying to hide that he was blushing. He still was still shy around Dad. I would've laughed, but I wasn't finding much to laugh about since earlier.

"Alright, fine." I stood. "I'll drive." I didn't look at Dad, but I heard him snort.

"Okay, then. C'mon guys!"

Lana was beaming when we walked in the door.

"You weren't lying when you said you'd be back soon!" She gave the guys a slow once-over, not even trying to be subtle about it. "And you brought company!" Lana looked at me approvingly. "Are they both yours?"

"I'm sure she wouldn't mind sharing," Dad winked at the guys, who were looking at Lana uncertainly.

I rolled my eyes. "Bandmates, Lana. They're all yours." I sent a smirk back to the guys and left them standing in the entryway.

Lana's eyes glinted mischievously and a sly smile slid across her face as she looked back at Jared and Davey. "Sounds good to me. C'mon in, boys!"

They joined me at a table near the bar, within view of the TV for Dad.

"Lana seems... friendly." Jared sat next to me.

I gave him a wry smile. "You'll get used to it. Here." I slid the menus over to him and Davey.

Dad was beaming, and I realized that even though I was still hurt, my dark mood couldn't last. He was loving this; he was loving being included. In the music, in the band, in my life. That was why he'd left this morning-- he was excited for the guys to come over. He was excited to be a part of it. That's why we were here tonight.

I'd robbed him of this for too long.

Lana gave us a few minutes to look over the menus and came over.

"Usuals for us and burgers for the boys!" Dad smiled up at her. "How's Lovely Lana?"

"Doing just fine now that my favorites are here!"

"I see you've put up some new wall art," Dad gestured to the walls of the entryway, where there were rows of flyers for Mayor Platt's rival candidate for the upcoming elections, Jonas Williamson.

"Yeah, well," Lana huffed. "I had to do something. Platt is just bad news. I had half a mind to graffiti up his house until that Casanova guy did it for me."

"I saw that," Jared piped up. "Hilarious. But that was just painting a target on his own back-- Platt's just going to go after him personally now."

"That's just ridiculous. Graffiti isn't hurting nobody-- maybe I'll graffiti up my place myself, see what Platt thinks of that." Lana stuck a sassy hand on her hip.

"That'd be something," Dad said. "I think you should!"

"Well it won't be pretty. I can make a steak, but I can't draw worth beans." Lana winked at me. "I'll be back with your food soon!"

I watched her go, biting my lip. Lana's joke sparked an idea. She may not be much of an artist. But I knew of someone who was-- and had just as much reason to hate Platt.

I just had to find him.

What do you think of Claire's idea? Hit the star, and let me know in the comments! :)

Chapter song is Titanium by Boyce Avenue.