Family Secret

"Dad?" I knocked on his studio door. Music from his top-quality speakers seeped into the hall from inside, stopping and starting suddenly.

"C'mon in!" he called before the music started up again.

I nudged the door open with my shoulder, balancing two plates across the room to set one in front of him. He was focused on his large desktop; Pro Tools was open, tracks stacked in colorful layers across the screen. In his element. I smiled.

"Breakfast?" I spoke over the music blaring through the room. It was switched off again, and Dad turned to me.

"Huh?" He saw the plate with an omelette in the center. "Oh. Thanks." He grabbed the fork and started eating.

I pulled up a chair. "How's the project going?"

His eyes cut over to the screen. "Just about done. They want the..." he paused and turned to me. "The..." Dad waved his hand around, trying to wave off the irritation that I saw flash in his eyes.

"Final mix?"

He snapped his fingers, pointing at me to confirm. "Final mix," he muttered, turning back to the screen. He cleared his throat. "They want it by tomorrow, so I'm just wrapping things up."

"It sounds good." My voice was a little too bright, and I cleared my throat too. "Hey, I..." I stopped, unsure how to proceed.

Dad caught the hesitation in my voice and turned to me, sharp gaze locking with mine.

"What's up, Claire?"

I bit my lip. "I... invited the guys over."

He blinked, and then a smile broke out across his face. "Well I'll be. Finally decided to let them in on the family secret, eh?"

I rolled my eyes. "You make it sound like we're vampires or something."

Dad grinned wickedly. "Don't go giving me ideas, now. I don't meet friends of yours very often, I could have some fun with this."

I reached over and smacked him on the shoulder. "Don't you dare. I just wanted to warn you... they have no idea."

"I promise I'll be perfectly civil and I'll even wear pants."

My lips twitched and he winked at me.

"What made you change your mind?"

I thought for a moment.

"They're really serious about this. And I want them to succeed." I paused. "But they want me to succeed, too. And they want me to stop holding back. And I think this is something I've been holding back."

Dad nodded. "You know I've always been behind you one-hundred percent, whatever you decide."

"Thanks, Dad." I smiled. But I wasn't done, and he could tell.

"You're dying to say something else. Spit it out."

"Would you--" I stopped, knowing I'd sworn never to say these words to him. "Would you be willing to help us?"

He lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Of course, Claire Bear!" He reached over and grabbed my chin in his giant hand. "I won't say I've been waiting for this moment all my life, because I knew you're as stubborn as you are talented. You don't need me. You do things yourself." He sent me his lopsided smile, pride flashing in his eyes. "But I'll never say no to that question."

Dad squeezed my chin gently and planted a kiss on my forehead. He pulled back to look me in the eye. "Just... let me know if I go too far. You got your old man all flustered, there's no knowing if this'll get out of hand."

Dad chuckled as I grimaced.

"Oh, believe me," I muttered, already imagining all the embarrassing scenarios that could ensue. Dad was awesome, but he was still, by nature, a dad. "I won't hesitate to say anything." 

What do you think the family secret is?! Let me know in the comments! 

Chapter song is Don't Try by Everything Everything :)