Space Lovers

"How are my soon-to-be rockstar tenants--" Otto stopped as the storage room door creaked open to reveal that I was alone. "Where'd the guys go?"

"Picking up dinner. I'm finishing up some lyrics." I waved my pen in the air.

He leaned against the doorframe. "How's it going?"

I tilted my head, considering. "Really well, actually. We've gotten almost two songs finished and another started."

"You sound surprised."

I made a face. "I didn't know what to expect. Jared and I aren't exactly on the best of terms at the moment. And it's been a while since I've written..." I shrugged at the floor. "There's just a lot of pressure."

"I'm glad you're pushing through it, though."

I looked back up at Otto. He was watching me with serious eyes, which caught my gaze and I couldn't look away.

"Really. I know Jared can be a brat sometimes. But you," he tipped his head towards me, "have to play your music, Clairity; it'd be a huge mistake for you to give it up. You guys need each other."

I snorted. "We might kill each other."

"You make each other better."

A wry smile sprung to my lips. I met his eyes again; he was dead serious. The smile faded and the smart remark died on my tongue. Otto didn't get serious often. He meant it.

"Need to test anything out on an unbiased audience?"

I smiled. "When the guys get back, I'll let them know you've graciously offered your esteemed opinion."

Otto shook his head. "Not mine." He pointed downstairs. "Theirs."

"Are we really ready for this?" I whispered to Jared, ducking under my guitar strap and settling it around my shoulders.

He glanced sideways at me as he plugged in his guitar. "Only one way to find out." He tapped a series of buttons on his pedal board with his toe. "Besides, isn't that the point? To see their reaction?"

I glanced out to the room that was filling up with the after-work crowd. "I guess." I stepped up to my mic stand and adjusted the height, shorter, then changed my mind and made it taller again.

This time, I knew I'd be singing. And I knew I'd sing Sam's song. It didn't matter that I'd sung it here, on this stage, just a few days ago-- my fingers were still shaking.

I looked back at Davey, and he gave me a reassuring smile. His dark eyes flashed under the stage lights that were now shooting straight at us. I took a deep breath. Well. Here we go.

We sprinkled a few old songs among Sam's song and the two new ones, so Jared and I alternated singing lead. Jared kicked us off, then Sam's song. I held it together. I got through it. At the end, I turned away from the crowd to wipe the tears that had escaped as I sang. Davey met my eyes and nodded.

"Perfect," he mouthed.

We played the one we'd written that morning last. Davey switched to keys, and I switched out my acoustic for Jared's electric guitar, which was a little nerve-racking. It'd definitely been a while since I'd played electric. But as we started, my ambient guitar riffs over Davey's soft synth sounds created exactly the weightless sound I'd imagined when writing the lyrics.

Jared came in on the bass, filling out the sound. There was a gaping hole left by Brett. Drums would've completed the song, but Davey couldn't play both instruments. But the synth and bass kept the rhythm effectively enough. The hole was forgotten when I started to sing my lyrics-- the story of the boy who was stranded on the moon and was doing everything he could to get back to his love.

It was a tribute to Casanova. It felt right to commemorate his destroyed painting with something that couldn't be destroyed. It deserved to be remembered, and what better way to remember something forever than in a song that could never be unheard? I was using his original beginning to mark both of our new beginnings.

Otto smiled his knowing smile up at me from the bar as the last atmospheric notes of the song faded out and people started applauding. I smiled back, because it'd been way too long since I'd walked offstage feeling this good.

I'd felt this before with the guys, I'd just forgotten. Lost the magic. But now that I remembered, I knew I'd be coming back for more.

Cas was at the V Bar again, and so was the girl.

He'd actually spoken to her last night; he wouldn't tonight. But he couldn't help straightening a little from his slump in interest when he saw her and the band setting up. Playing here again already? He certainly wasn't complaining.

He was an idiot, wasn't he? Talking to her with just a hoodie to hide his face. He'd never so blatantly identified with his other persona to a civilian. The only reason Mark knew was because he'd been hiding out, watching Cas paint, and followed him to find out where he lived.

Mark had really wanted to work with him.

Cas leaned back against the armchair and slipped his hand into his backpack. The girl's band had played a few songs. He only half-listened once he realized they'd played the same ones a few nights ago. His fingers found the smooth edge of the notebook he'd finally pulled from his desk's bottom drawer. He hadn't opened it yet, though. Wasn't sure he would.

He wasn't sure what he'd find.

He pulled his hand back and rested it on the table, spinning his half-empty tumbler slowly with his fingers, the liquid sloshing back and forth gently. Maybe he'd just go home after this. There had been no response from Sirena yet on his slash. Maybe he'd won, she'd leave him alone, and he could just leave it as it was.

Cas knew this was a lie but he chose to believe it. He lifted the tumbler to finish it off, and froze halfway to his lips. This song was different.

The girl started singing.

He listened to the lyrics, subconsciously leaning forward to hear them better. And when he did, he lowered the glass to the table, a small smile forming on his lips.

Maybe he'd found his muse.

His fingers slipped back into the backpack and pulled out the notebook. His black book from a long time ago. It was supposed to be full of ideas and inspiration; he knew there was a good chance this one was full of crap.

The girl's voice floated through the bar and he stared at the black book as he listened. He shook his head, unable to stop another grin. The song was perfect. It tugged the same heartstrings he'd intended Space Lovers to tug.

He opened the book. If it was empty, he'd just have to fill it.

Hit the star if you're excited about MORE CAS <3 Chapter song is Boy On The Moon by The Daylights :)