Grand Re-Opening

Ricky's was packed.

I couldn't suppress a grin as I watched Lana scurry around, resembling some sort of plate-spinning acrobat with all the trays she balanced as she ducked and weaved through the diner. The diner itself was alive with color; seeing it fully lit and full of people was an entirely different experience.

Lana had insisted we come for the "Grand Re-Opening," and reserved a table for us in the back corner. Halfway through the meal, the guys had finally given up on shop-talk and settled on what everyone was buzzing about-- Casanova.

"No offense to Lana, or anything," said Jared through a mouthful of fries, "but it looks like she got significantly more out of this than Casanova."

"True," Davey mused, gazing around at the walls. "But I suspect that everything he does is intentional. He must've had a bigger purpose we just can't see yet."

Bennie coughed pointedly from across the table, and I shot her a glare, feeling my cheeks heat up.

I cleared my throat and turned to Dad.

"We've had it easy til now, Dad. Looks like we're going to have to actually fight for our spot from here on out."

He regarded me seriously. "We'd better choose our weapons wisely, then."

"Bribery," I offered.

"I was going to say my charm and good looks," he said.

I grimaced. "Bribery may be our best bet."

He feigned a knife in his heart, wrenching it melodramatically. I threw a fry at him, and it bounced off his nose, jerking him out of his theatrics.

"Hey, did you guys finish those songs today?"

My eyes darted to Jared and Davey, and I held my breath. We'd already told Dad about the songs when we first arrived at Ricky's.

Jared surprised me, though, by speaking up without batting an eye. "Yeah, we got a lot done today! Claire brought in her lyrics and we wrote parts, you'll have to come in and hear it tomorrow!"

Davey watched me with a sharp eye, not saying a word. No one mentioned the incident for the rest of the meal. But I worried my lower lip with my teeth; he was getting worse to slip up in front of the guys.

We had just gotten dessert when my phone buzzed. I frowned when I saw Mark's name, but my heart did a little flip when I opened the message.

-Are you able to meet tonight? --Cas

-Where? I responded.

-Space Lovers. 1 hr.

I briefly entertained the notion that Mark was playing with me, setting up a meeting so he could chew me out some more. But I dismissed it. For the most part, he'd stayed out of my way since Ricky's.

So when we stood up to leave, I lingered.

"I'm going to take care of a few things before heading home," I said.

Bennie eyed me knowingly, a smirk tugging at her lips. "Reese, I can take you home," she offered.

I nodded my thanks to her, and they filed out the door. Jared lingered with me, walking out slower than the rest. He stopped just outside, turning to me.

"How long has it been going on?"

"Huh?" I turned to face him.

"Your dad." Jared's face was stone-serious.

I froze.

"It's okay." He lifted a shoulder awkwardly. "This wasn't the first time I noticed it."

I exhaled a shaky breath.

"A few months." The words came out without any sound behind them, a timid whisper.

"Alzheimers?"

I nodded, not trusting myself to try to speak again.

Jared looked down. "My grandma died of dementia."

The words hung between us for a moment.

"I'm sorry."

He looked up at me, finally meeting my eyes. "I'm sorry too."

He hesitantly reached out, almost decided against it, but then gripped my shoulder gently before ducking his head once more and slipping away.

My shoes scuffed on loose pebbles in the entrance of the alley. It wasn't totally dark yet, so the shape of Casanova leaning easily against the wall wasn't hard to see. It wasn't Mark, I was sure of it despite the hood-- Mark was shorter. His hood turned towards me as I approached.

"I haven't been able to figure out why you'd want to meet," I said as I stopped in front of him. "But I'm glad; I have news."

"I have news as well, but you first." He gestured at me to continue.

I told him what Otto had said.

"I'm not asking for a favor," I said carefully. "I just thought you should know that this idea may have sparked something bigger in others who are on your side."

He was quiet for a moment.

"This could be something." He nodded thoughtfully. "I'll have Mark contact you if we can progress with it."

I dipped my head. "What's your news?"

"More of me asking for a favor, I suppose."

"Shoot."

"I've had a sort of crazy idea, but I need some help in the execution."

I grinned. "I love crazy ideas. I'm in."

"Well, don't commit until you've heard it. It's a bit more.... face to face than my usual projects."

I understood. "You need the disconnected civilian who won't leave a trace back to you?"

"Exactly."

I settled against the opposite wall. "Let's hear it then."

Jared keeps surprising us! Excited for Cas's new idea?! Let me know in the comments and hit that star! :)

Chapter song is Oh Daniel by Civil Twilight!