Grease-Bucket-Bill

"Pretty sure Ian's staring at you."

I ignored Bennie's ridiculous fixation on Ian and gritted my teeth, staring at the notebook lying open on the table in front of me. The page was half full of scribbles, most of them throwaway lines that I'd have to come back and change later. I had two more songs to churn out lyrics to by tomorrow, and it wasn't going well.

I really wanted to get to the diner and witness the transformation, but Jared had insisted on another writing session at the V-Bar. I didn't expect it'd be a very productive one, though. All I could think about was Casanova and his admission to me last night.

But Jared had brought some good ideas and with Dad's help, we'd turned them into songs. We were running out of time before the label rep turned up again, just a matter of a couple weeks.

And I was sitting here, writing crappy lyrics like we were in some garage band getting ready to play the 10:00 AM slot in some sleazy music festival.

I growled in frustration and yanked the page out of the notebook, crumpling it in my first.

"...And then I realized I'm destined to be with Otto and confessed my undying love for him in front of the whole bar--"

My head snapped up. "What?"

Bennie narrowed her eyes at me. "So you haven't gone deaf."

"Otto?" I asked in a strangled voice, my eyes threatening to pop out of my skull.

She rolled her eyes. "Claire, what's going on? You're so out of it today!"

I rubbed at my temples, closing my eyes. "Sorry," I mumbled. "But I need to finish these."

"We were supposed to be meeting for dinner. Together. You know, conversation and eye contact and ideally both of us participate?"

I shook my head. "The guys want these finished in the morning and--"

"Screw them. Talk to me."

I dropped my head in my hands. "I'm stuck."

I could feel Bennie watching me. "What's got you so stressed all of a sudden?"

I shook my head, but she wasn't going to take my non-committal answers.

"No, seriously. You've been MIA for the last few nights, no one knows where you're going. I went to your place last night and you weren't there. You're suddenly okay with leaving Reece home alone? You were freaking out about it last week."

I sighed, meeting her eyes.

"Fine. Something's been going on."

Bennie leaned forward. "I knew it, tell me!"

I played with the corner of my notebook, considering her. Finally I snapped it closed.

"I'll show you."

The sky was bruising when we pulled up to Ricky's, dark blue blooming over the horizon opposite the sinking sun. Strangely, there were two huge RV's parked out front, close to the building and nose to nose in a strange V-formation. Bennie glanced at me, eying me with curiosity, but didn't say anything.

We stepped out of the car and headed to the other side of the RV's, and I spotted Mark standing outside the door to the diner, cigarette between his fingers. A cloud of smoke billowed from his lips and his brows settled into a glare when he spotted me.

"He's not here--" Mark stopped when he saw Bennie. His brows furrowed deeper.

He shoved off the wall, jabbing his cigarette in our direction. "So this is a performance piece, now?" He threw an arm open wide. "Should we invite the whole city, too?"

I sighed, steeling myself for a fight, but I should've known Bennie could handle herself.

"Ooo, someone's got a stick up his butt." She turned to me. "Is this Lana's new boy toy? I've gotta say, usually their looks make up for their flaws, but..." she looked him up and down and shrugged. "I'm sure the next one will be back on par."

I didn't even try to hide my grin. Mark scowled.

"I'm not--"

"It's okay," Bennie reassured him, "you're not the worst one. Anyone's better than Grease Bucket Bill. Right, Lana?"

Bennie raised her voice to address the stocky woman who was emerging from the diner.

"Oh, that Grease Bucket Bill," she made a face. "Although I wouldn't have met that hunky cop if I hadn't needed a restraining order. It was all meant to be." Lana winked at me. In all the years I'd known her, she'd been "single as a pringle", as she'd say.

But the joke had the desired effect on Mark, who rolled his eyes, smashed his cigarette on the wall and whisked past us.

"Bennie Bunny!" Lana grabbed Bennie in a giant bear hug. "It's been so long!"

"Too long!" Bennie squeezed her back before pulling away to try to peer inside the diner. "What's going on here? Claire won't tell me!"

Lana's smile widened. "Well, why don't you come in and take a peek!"

We filed inside, and Bennie's eyes went wide as saucers. "You didn't."

"Oh, I did." Lana raised her voice to shout over the music. "Andy, turn that down, would ya?"

"I love this!" Bennie turned in a circle. "Claire, what's your part been in this?"

"Well..."

"She introduced us," came a cheery voice from the door behind us.

We spun to see him standing in the doorway, gas mask and hood leaving only his eyes twinkling mischievously out at us.

Bennie didn't pause for long. "Well if you're who I think you are, she better introduce us too."

I smiled as Casanova leaned forward to grip Bennie's hand in a handshake. "Bennie, this is Casanova."

What do we think about Bennie FINALLY being involved?! Let me know in the comments and don't forget to hit that star! ;)

Chapter song is Pure Dynamite by The Beth Edges :)