Political Debut

Mayor candidate and environmental scientist Jonas Williamson's office was located on the thirty-eighth floor of the E-TEX building downtown. I stood at the front desk of the lobby-- ground floor-- and bit my lip. Getting to Jonas's office wasn't going to be as easy as stepping onto an elevator and walking right in. I'd called ahead and tried to make an appointment, but it seemed they only booked with people whose credentials far outranked my own.

I slid my palms down the front of my dress and stepped to the desk. A woman sat behind it, a phone to her ear, and her eyes darted up to glance at me and immediately dismiss me. I had dressed up a bit, but to her credit, I still probably looked like a punk kid. The tattoo peeking out from under my sleeve, a nose ring and choppy black hair-- however natural the color is-- will give that impression.

The woman set the phone down with a click. "Can I help you?"

I flashed her my best smile. "Yes, thanks. I've been hoping to make an appointment with Jonas Wi--"

"Mr. Williamson?" A slim eyebrow arched. "I'm afraid that's impossible, he's very busy running a business as well as running for mayor. You can send an email to his secretary, though. Here, I'll write down the address."

"Yes, I've tried--"

She handed me a business card and I took it without a glance. I tapped it on the counter nervously. "It's just that I've already emailed her, and it's very important--"

"Cindy passes along important emails and Mr. Williamson responds in a timely manner." The woman's lips twitched up in a rote smile. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

I sighed. Cas gave me the hard job. "Ma'am, it's very important that I meet with Mr. Williamson as soon as possible."

"And why's that?"

A voice made me spin, and I turned to face Williamson himself, who was eyeing me with an unreadable expression.

I blinked for a split second at my luck and decided to push it. "It's about Casanova, Sir."

Curiosity sparked in Williamson's eyes, and he was silent for a moment. "Alright. Walk with me to my office. Talk while you walk."

I resisted the magnetic urge to turn and flash a triumphant smile at the woman at the desk and trotted after Williamson, who was already heading towards the elevators.

"I'm sure you've noticed Casanova has been in the news quite a bit recently."

Williamson didn't answer, just pressed the button to go up. I tried a different tactic.

"What do you think of his alliances?"

"With local businesses?" Williamson gestured to enter the elevator and stepped in after me. "Only two so far, hasn't it been?"

I nodded. "More on the way."

He cast a sharp look at me, no doubt wondering how I knew. But I didn't stop to let him ask.

"What did you think of his latest piece?"

A knowing smile was tugging at the corner of his mouth, but I didn't know quite what it meant. "He's clearly gunning for more alliances in higher places."

I studied him. He seemed a bit dismissive, so I decided to be frank.

"Your poll numbers are higher since that piece debuted." I looked him in the eye.

He shrugged, still with that amused little smile across his lips. "Of course. Any time a celebrity decides to promote a politician, it boosts their numbers for a day or two."

"They need to be higher. You're not going to win."

His gaze cut to me, eyes sharp again; though his smile was still tacked in place.

"And why is this your problem, young lady?"

The elevator doors opened, and a man shuffled forward to step in, but I jammed my finger on the door button, and his eyes widened as they slid shut an inch from his nose. I pushed the button for the ground floor, and the elevator dipped and started back down.

"Not my problem. It's yours. Everyone's. Isn't that why you run this company? Environmentalism isn't just a passing fad, it's important. It's an investment into our futures." I squared my shoulders. "That's why Casanova paints. His pieces say things. They're investments too. And think of what you could say together." I stopped and took a deep breath.

Williamson was silent for a long time. We passed floors 7...6...5 before he spoke.

"And Mr. Casanova has a plan, then? Something he wants to run by me?"

I shook my head. "He doesn't. I do."

DANG, Claire! She's definitely not a pushover. And Casanova is shooting higher and higher! Think it'll work? Hit that star and let me know what you think of Claire's political debut ;)

Chapter song is Guards by Lael :) Happy Sunday, loves <3