Love Letter

People with cameras-- the press as well as bystanders-- swarmed the entrance of the V-Bar when I arrived the next morning. I weaved through the bodies, smiling a little when I spotted Otto getting interviewed by the local news. This would definitely be good for business. Amidst flashes and snaps, I dashed to the door and ducked inside, yanking it closed behind me. I had no desire to have my picture all over the news.

"Crazy out there, huh?"

I looked up to see Ian grinning at me from the bar.

"Otto's loving it." I shot him a wry grin in return. He held up a finger and ducked into the kitchen, leaving me alone in the room. I set my guitar down and slumped into a stool just before Ian emerged from the kitchen and set a steaming cup of coffee in front of me.

"Oh, bless you," I sighed, wrapping my hands around the mug and breathing in the steam. "The guys here yet?"

"Not yet. Surprised you're first." Ian leaned on the counter with his own mug of coffee.

"My sleep schedule is all whacked out," I shrugged.

Ian watched me over the rim of his mug. "Were you... here last night? With him?"

I paused, eyes flicking to his in uncertainty, but he rushed to continue.

"Otto only told me because I closed last night. No one else knows."

Strange that Otto would tell him of my involvement. But I nodded slowly. "Yeah, I was here."

Ian leaned forward. "Are there going to be more? More partnerships with local businesses?"

I shrugged. "Don't know. I hope so-- it could kickstart a huge change in the city."

He bit his lip and looked down. "Look, I, uh. I know it might be stupid, but could you--" he reached in his pocket and withdrew a card, tapping it on the counter nervously. "Could you give this to him? I get that maybe nothing will come of it but--"

Otto burst through the door. "Clairity! You're here early." He came up behind me and ruffled my hair. "You awake yet, or is that just your first cup?" He did that head-nod thing that guys greet each other with in Ian's direction. "Where are the guys?"

"Probably be here any minute," I said between swallows.

"Sweet." Otto slid an envelope out of his back pocket and slapped it on the counter in front of me as he swept past, heading around to the other side of the bar. "Our elusive friend who may or may not participate in mildly illegal activities left this for you last night."

I blinked. "For me?"

Sure enough, my name was scribbled across the envelope in swift, bold, capital letters.

"What..." I turned it over in my hands.

"All evidence points to love letter," Otto called over his shoulder, sticking a finger in the air.

"Who got a love letter?"

I spun on the stool to see Jared and Davey in the doorway, lit up by flashes as the door swung closed.

"No one," I said quickly, tucking the envelope in my back pocket before they saw it and caused a fuss.

"Otto, you're in on this Casanova thing too?" Jared jerked a thumb towards the doorway. 

"Oh, I thought I'd do him a little favor and get his name out there for him. Poor guy needs all the help he can get. You like?" Otto grinned. 

"Looks awesome," said Davey.

"Did you get to meet him?" asked Jared, eyes wide.

Otto eyed me with a sly grin. "Sorry, I'm not allowed to disclose that information." He winked at Jared.

"You just winked," said Jared.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Otto winked again in my direction.

"You just..." Jared stopped and rolled his eyes, turning to me. "You ready to go?" he asked, heading for the stairs.

"Ready." I stood and drained my mug.

Ian reached for the mug as I set it down. "Want another cup?"

He wasn't meeting my eyes. I looked down and spied the card he'd offered me wedged between his index and middle finger as his hand closed around the cup.

"Nah, I'm good." I reached over and slipped the card from between his fingers, palming it. His eyes flickered up to mine, and I smiled. "I'll get it to him."

He ducked his head, returning my smile with a bashful one of his own. "Thanks, Claire."

I grabbed my guitar and headed up the steps, Casanova's envelope in my back pocket and Ian's card in my hand. At the top of the stairs, before reaching for the doorknob, I peeked at the card.

Ian Reynolds, Graphic Designer and Screenprinter.

My lips quirked. This could be interesting.

It wasn't until we were finished practicing and I was in my car that I pulled out Casanova's envelope.

I bit my lip and tore it open. A blank index card fell out into my lap. I frowned and flipped it over. An address was scrawled across in the same capital letters from the front of the envelope. Baker Street? I knew of it, it wasn't far. Below the address was scribbled another note:

Head this way after dark. Additional instructions to follow.

A smile tugged at my lips as I glanced up to the deep purple sky. Alright, I'll play.

What's Casanova up to this time? :) Sound off in the comments, let's hear your thoughts! And don't forget to hit that star! <3

Chapter song is Jump by Kaptan :)