Days of Teiko

“If you were in Teiko with us, undoubtedly, you would have became one of us.” - Kuroko Tamaki

* * * *

The two teammates headed to Maji Burger to continue their ‘talk’, especially since Kagami is complaining of being hungry. Half an hour later, both teammates have their own stash of food in front of them. A tray holding a packet of fries, a vanilla milkshake and a small burger was in front of Tamaki whilst a tray that is nearly overflowing with burgers was in front of Kagami.

The two ignored the astonished and bewildered looks that they got from the patrons and even the cashiers of Maji Burger as Kagami unwrapped one of the burgers on his pile. They were both used to the looks by now, especially with Kagami’s monstrous appetite.

It was currently midday, and the streets outside Maji Burger were filled with people going about their daily lives. Tamaki looked out of the window for several moments even as she sipped on her milkshake.

“Back then…” Kagami who was about to say something was taken aback as Tamaki spoke first. The teal haired girl was looking straight at Kagami as she spoke, clear blue eyes dead serious. “The conversation that I had with Kise-kun after the practice match… How much did you overhear?”

Kagami was silent for several moments, wondering how to phrase it in such a way so that he wouldn’t get punched or kicked, or worse, having an Ignite Pass dealt to the face during their next practice.

“Well… Enough.” Kagami mumbled around his burger, suddenly finding his pile of burgers very interesting.

“I see.” Tamaki sounded nonchalant. “It’s like what I’d told you before. Me. Kise-kun. Aomine-kun. Midorima-kun. And even the other two. None of us started out as exceptional basketball players. Like everyone, we started out as ordinary players.” Tamaki had a small smile on her lips as she remembered those carefree days. “Apart from Kise-kun, all of us in the Generation of Miracles have a history of basketball. I started playing from the age of five in the street basketball courts with my cousin. Even Midorima-kun started playing in elementary school. Aomine-kun grew up playing basketball from a very young age. Satsuki was his childhood friend, and she often accompanied him when he was playing, and developed her eye for strategies and analyzing just by watching him play. None of us started out as exceptional players. All of us started from the bottom of the ladder.”

Tamaki looked out of the glass window, her chin propped up by her right hand. Kagami was silent, recalling the matches that he had with Kise, Midorima and then Aomine. Even the team trainings with Tamaki… It is almost difficult to believe that all of them were the same age as he is, with Tamaki almost an entire year younger than he is. It is almost like all of them were in a different universe.

“In some ways, it’s almost like Fate is playing with us.” Tamaki has a small smile on her lips as she turned to look at Kagami. “Do you remember what I’ve said before? That in some ways, you remind me of the Generation of Miracles.” Kagami nodded slowly. “How all of us were in the same grade, in the same school, and were even in the same team. And then later on, all of us split to go to different teams, becoming enemies in the end. You have the same genius skill that all of them possesses. If you were in Teiko with us, undoubtedly, you would have became one of us.” Tamaki told him, absentmindedly pondering on the outcome of her third year of middle school if Kagami had been in Teiko then. Would things still turn out the way that they did? Or would it be worse, as there will be no Kagami in Seirin to beat the sense back into her old teammates and friends?

“Well, I did think of it before.” Kagami admitted, much to Tamaki’s surprise. “I returned to Japan during my second year of middle school. The school that I attended has a basketball team, but it isn’t a very strong one. We never get to progress to matches beyond the Inter High preliminaries. Hence why I’d never heard of the Generation of Miracles before now.”