Your Basketball

"I won't lose. Not to anyone." - Kise Ryota

* * * *

"When…we changed?" Kise echoed in confusion, tilting his head to one side. "What do you mean?"

Tamaki glanced at her blonde friend. "I doubt that any of you even realised it, especially him." The blue haired girl looked sad. From behind the fence, Kagami frowned. 'Him'? "Then again, I'm not surprised either. Many things have happened that year after all, during second year. I didn't even realise it myself until third year." Kise said nothing as Tamaki glanced towards the side at the small mini match that a group of boys, most probably middle schoolers, were having among each other. Just a friendly game among friends. She was silent for several moments, just watching the game. "Do you remember the day when you've first joined the team?" Tamaki asked at last, turning her attention back towards Kise.

The blonde smiled in remembrance of that day. "Of course I do," he said, smiling fondly as he recalled that memory. "Tamacchi scolded me soundly that day. You refused to allow me entry as an actual player on first string, let alone being a regular, yet you didn't tell me why, telling me to go and figure it out myself before coming back. I was so angry at that time. I remembered thinking that you can't be that good, being the only girl on the team. And I didn't understand what you had meant then." He admitted, flushing in embarrassment of that day. "But it's thanks to that that I actually understood just what is it that I lacked, and managed to grow strong—strong enough to actually be a member of the Generation of Miracles."

* * * *

~Second Year of Teiko, Spring~

"Sorry, Tamaki-chan, asking you to help me with these!" Momoi Satsuki grinned sheepishly at her best friend as the two girls carried boxes containing wristbands and ankle bands, walking into the first gym where majority of the members of the first and second strings were starting their drills and warm up exercises. The only members of the regulars of the first string that were present were only Aomine and Midorima, both who were performing their own warm up exercises, and occupying their own side of the gym. "Dai-chan is an idiot, running off before I could even ask him to help me carry these to the gym!" She huffed in anger as she glared at her childhood friend who is fortunately on the other side of the gym.

"It's all right. I was heading the same way anyway." Tamaki reassured her friend before glancing at the wristbands and ankle bands that she could see. "Are these increased weights?" She asked with interest.

Satsuki nodded. "You guys seemed to be handling it well enough by now. So I thought that I should increase the weights." She shrugged. "Might help to increase their speed and stamina."

"Any increase for me, Satsuki?" Tamaki asked, and her friend looked incredulously at her.

"You still want more increase?" Satsuki almost groaned. "I swear, you're as much of a basketball idiot like Dai-chan! If you grow any faster, Tamaki-chan, even we won't be able to see you when you move! Akashi-kun might have named you the phantom player, but he doesn't mean it literally!"

Tamaki managed a small amused smile at this.

Teiko had clinched their first championship medal at the National championship the previous year under the captainship of Akashi Seijuro, then the championship at the Winter Cup. And the fun part is that all the starting members were all first years. They had some fun thrashing their opponents the previous year—all the opponents who have underestimated them just because they're freshmen, and have then walked off the court, leaving them gaping like goldfish, with the game score usually a full hundred points ahead of their opponents.