Puppeteer Machinator

“She’s the only one whom I can never read, even back in Teiko.” - Momoi Satsuki

* * * *

The buzzer went off as Touou called for a member change with Aomine Daiki’s arrival.

Tamaki didn’t betray any emotion on her face, but inside, she is worried. She knew better than anyone else just how powerful Aomine can be on the court. Before the two have started dating not even a month ago, they have been partners and best friends first and foremost. Like how Aomine knew her basketball style and play inside out, she knew Aomine inside out as well, even right down to the most ridiculous thing.

And Tamaki must be deaf and dumb to not see that Aomine seems to have some grudge against Seirin, especially Kagami. The teal haired girl had a suspicion that it might have something to do with the two matches that she had gotten injured in, and the fact that Kagami had almost flown at her during the Seirin versus Shutoku match. And this is not including the fact that Aomine had never been Kagami’s greatest fan from the very first moment when the tanned teen had first laid eyes on the redhead.

It might just be his green-eyed monster speaking however…

‘Ten points behind, huh?’ Tamaki mused, glancing at Aomine who did some light stretches before heading out to the court, with just thirty seconds to spare in the second quarter. ‘This isn’t good. Daiki arrived at the worst possible time. And like always, he had that insane aura about him.’ She glanced at Aomine before her eyes flickered to her teammates on the court who were staring at Aomine with wariness and a slight flicker of fear visible in their eyes.

That is nothing new unfortunately.

If it has been any other member of the Generation of Miracles like Kise, Midorima, Tamaki herself, or even Murasakibara, they would not have such a response from the opposing team. But Aomine is different. He had been the ace of the Generation of Miracles for a reason. And he had been the first among them to blossom and evolve his skills in basketball to what they are today. Even his own teammates tend to be wary of him because of his overwhelming power and skill in basketball. And now, as Tamaki glanced at the Touou players, especially the one that was subbed out so that Aomine could play, she can see why Aomine had grown to hate basketball if he creates fear in people like this.

‘So this is Aomine Daiki.’ Hyuuga thought to himself, the Seirin captain watching Aomine warily as the tanned player walked past him.

‘Even normal basketball players like us can tell that he’s different, even without the coach’s special eyes.’ Izuki thought nervously, and beside him, Mitobe swallowed nervously. Even the usual silent player was unnerved just by the very presence of the Generation of Miracles’ ace. ‘Is this…what Tamaki had meant?’ The point guard wondered, remembering Tamaki’s words at the time when the entire Seirin team had discussed about their upcoming match against Touou, and Tamaki’s foreboding words at that time had disturbed the Seirin point guard.

“We might be in trouble with the match against Touou.” Tamaki said seriously, and everyone turned towards the teal haired girl. “Aomine-kun is dangerous. He is insanely strong. I can’t exactly describe to you his level of strength. It is something that you’ll understand only if you see it for yourself.”

Kagami meanwhile was keeping his eyes on Aomine, feeling a sense of foreboding building up within him. It is just like the time when Aomine had challenged him in the street park a few weeks ago. He had that insane aura about him that Kagami had never sensed around anyone before. Even Tamaki, Kise and Midorima, fellow members of the Generation of Miracles never had that dangerous aura around them the same way that Aomine had. With Aomine, it is more like Kagami felt like it is impossible to win against him.