The Sound of the Door

“In another era, they would have surely been known as prodigies. They were hidden in the shadow of the best.” - Kawase Yohei 

* * * * 

November 7th dawned bright and clear with not a cloud to be seen in the sky. 

It was the day of the start of the Winter Cup preliminaries – the day that all of Seirin were looking forward to. Standing with the rest of his team outside Seirin High School, Furihata was watching with interest as Kagami did all kinds of tricks with the basketball with his left hand.

It had been routine for Kagami ever since he’d first started attempting using his left hand for even the most trivial of stuff. Unlike the beginning however when he’d first started using his left hand, Kagami didn’t drop the ball even once.

“Whoa. You’re getting pretty good with your left arm.” Furihata commented.

“Yeah.” Kagami nodded even as he spun the ball on one finger. “It’s even been easier to eat with this hand lately.” He added proudly.

The freshmen trio could still remember the disaster that is Kagami when he’d first started attempting to try to eat with his left hand. Vague memories of flying pieces of food came to mind.

Furihata said nothing for some time even as he studied Kagami. “So you still can’t sleep the day before a tournament, huh?” The brunette sighed even as he eyed the red tinge around the whites of Kagami’s eyes. “You look terrifying.”

Meanwhile, Kiyoshi was almost glowing with a bright smile on his face, creeping the rest of his team out.

“What are you smiling about? It’s creepy.” Hyuuga commented. 

Kiyoshi laughed. “Oh sorry. Don’t let it bother you.”

“I know what it is, Kiyoshi.” Koganei said brightly, with his best friend, Mitobe glancing at him curiously to hear what he had to say. “You’re excited because we have new uniforms, right?” He asked, patting down the crisp fabric of his Seirin jacket.

“What?” Kiyoshi looked as if he had only just realised this fact as he looked down at his own uniform. “They are?” 

“You should’ve noticed sooner!”

“We’d better get going.” Riko announced, turning towards her team. “Are we all here?”

“Uh…” Hyuuga turned towards his team, mentally doing a headcount, but coming up short. “We’re still missing one. Oh.” He then realised who is missing. “Tamaki?”

“I’m here.”

All of Seirin jumped about a foot in the air at the sudden voice when they were pretty sure that there isn’t anyone there before. “You are?” 

“Yes.” Tamaki nodded, covered in a sheen of sweat and slightly out of breath. “I’ve been here the whole time.” 

Kagami twitched, knowing that she’s lying. “No, you’re lying this time!” he accused, pointing one finger at his partner who’d turned her face away. “You barely made it on time running here!” 

Tamaki said nothing to that, deciding to leave out the fact just why she’s late.

Hyuuga sighed, cutting into the small argument between his freshmen. “Let’s go,” he ordered. “We haven’t forgotten anything, have we?”

“What are you talking about?” Riko said confidently. “We’re on our way now to go get it!”

* * * *