Cooperation Play

"This guy's strength is completely different from the rest of us. It belongs in a different world." - Midorima Shintaro (Chapter 27)

* * * *

All the way in Touou High School, Aomine gulped nervously.

Who knew that Akashi could sound so intimidating and menacing even though he is not in front of him? If truth be told, he'll rather not call Akashi, but he also knew that the redhead wouldkill him if he does not get through him first.

Akashi had been rather overprotective of his cousin ever since second year after Tamaki's parents have passed away, and during the incident with Hanamiya. Several students in Teiko have learnt that the hard way when they tried to target Tamaki because of jealousy. Not that Tamaki couldn't take care of herself. But when Akashi had caught wind of it, let's just say that those students have mysteriously vanished.

"I… I'll take care of her!" Aomine brought it all out in a rush. "I'll look after her!" He lowered his voice. "I just… I just want to go back to those days…"

In Rakuzan High, Akashi said nothing for several moments, his fingers hovering above a shogi piece, in the midst of making a move when Aomine had surprised him so much with just that one sentence.

The redhead remembered when he had finally managed to corner his cousin after he found out that Tamaki had left the team after the finals during the National tournament during their third year in Teiko. To start with, basketball had been the sport that had helped the two cousins to bond when they were kids, as when Akashi's parents had been still together, and when Tamaki's parents were still alive, they were always busy with something or other, and have often left the two children in the restaurant that Akashi's mother runs.

There is a street basketball court not far from the restaurant, and the two cousins have often spent their time there. Always playing street ball had helped to hone their basketball skills, and thus, both cousins managed to get into the regulars the moment that they have entered middle school.

Akashi soon found his mind wandering to when he had managed to corner Tamaki during his third year, when Tamaki had been helping his mother out in the restaurant like how he often did.

"You left the team." Akashi told his cousin bluntly even as he took the pile of plates from her hands and started sorting them into colours and sizes in the cupboards where his mother had always kept them. The two cousins are currently in the kitchen. "Why?"

Tamaki said nothing for several moments. "It's not basketball anymore," she said at last, turning to face her cousin. "That basketball… It's become something that Hanamiya would do." Tamaki ignored the look on her cousin's face as she continued drying the plates. "And besides, the team doesn't need me anymore." She sounded sad.

Akashi frowned. Not that he comes to think of it, Aomine and Tamaki's play is different from back in first and second year. Tamaki is now passing a lot more to the others, usually Kise or Midorima, than Aomine. And it all started after Aomine had started missing practice near the end of second year. He had heard Momoi screaming at Aomine about it once…

"Was it because of Daiki?" He asked at last. The wince from his cousin answered his question. He, along with Aomine, and perhaps only Momoi are the only ones who can actually read Tamaki's emotions, since no one really knows what she is thinking. "I see…"

"It's not…really his fault." Tamaki said, turning to face her cousin, but the deep hurt that he can see reflected in his cousin's eyes contradicted that statement. "Basketball is no longer fun for him. Me too…" Tamaki rubbed at her left wrist. "It's no longer fun for me too."